Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil filter

What some tricks you guys use when changing your oil filter to keep from getting oil on your motor. I getting ready to do my 5000 mile oil change and the filter looks like it can make a mess on the motor.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I've tried making gizmo's to keep the oil off the engine (and I'm too cheap to buy one) but they don't seem to work that well. They slide and move and I seem to get oil on the front engine mount and frame anyway. I've just gone with draining the oil pan thoroghly and just pulling the filter as quickly as possible and letting the oil go where it may. I just use it as a good excuse to give that area of my bike a good cleaning. Its not that messy.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 2 liter soda bottle and cut the bottom out, and put a slit partway down one side. Slip the bottle over the oil filter when loosening by hand. That will pretty much catch all of the oil out of the filter.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a roll of Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap years ago. I tear off a piece big enough to fold for two layers, make a narrow spill-way that slips under the filter. When you loosen the filter a little oil will drip in the spill-way & run to a catch pan I place at the end. After the filter comes off I wipe the filter mount & fold up the Reynolds Wrap. No drip, no mess. One box of that stuff has lasted for years..........

Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Take a 2 liter soda bottle and cut off the bottom. Then cut a 3" wide by 6" long piece from the bottom up the side. Basically a wide notch. Loosen your filter and then slide the bottle up around the filter and continue to unscrew it thru the notch you cut. It will collect the oil and filter. Don't forget to leave the cap on.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That 2 liter soda bottle works good for me
Gary D

Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

I use the foil method,not very eco-friendly though.... Dont drink soda(Pop)...so dont have any bottles!!!!
Now if Jack Daniel's starts selling their goods in large plastic bottles I'll be all set I reckon..LOL.....

Last edited by riteway; 06-04-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did an oil change and used the foil method. It works great. Tried to cut a pop bottle but couldn't get it to fit right so went with the foil and no mess.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Tin foil. Simple and easy.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a pop bottle , with the bottom cut off. I have one of those filter caps that fits over the filter and fits onto a ratchet drive. Slide the bottle over the filter as far as it will go and take the bottle cap off. Then using a 12 inch extension on the ratchet, put it thru the bottle opening and into the "filter cap". Start loosening the filter and once its off, pull the extension off, put the bottle cap back on ( to catch the oil ) and let it sit while you get ready to put the new oil in the bike. When you're ready, pull the bottle out with the filter and oil in it and dispose of them properly.

No mess, and has worked for me for over 5 years.

It is tight getting the bottle in and out because of the shifter, but it is doable.

Quick Reply: Changing oil filter