Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anticease and Anti-Squeal Paste for Brakes. Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017 | 10:26 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by From_Behind
The paste discussion is long over. We're talking about ketchup!

LMAO!

Ketchup is horrible stuff only good for greasy foods. Now making a good Mojo for a lechon or other fine sauces.

Sorry, I prefer good mustard over ketchup any day.

Ready to be flamed

Old 04-07-2017 | 10:36 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
Ketchup is horrible stuff only good for greasy foods. Now making a good Mojo for a lechon or other fine sauces.

Sorry, I prefer good mustard over ketchup any day.

Ready to be flamed
Sometimes greasy foods are delicious! How else would one eat French fries, hash browns, and tater tots? 😃

Old 04-07-2017 | 12:25 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Best thing that ever happened to catsup was someone dumping in some horseradish.

Old 04-07-2017 | 01:50 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Fish sticks and tater tots, man, yes.
Takes me back...

Old 04-07-2017 | 01:53 PM
toppy
Road Captain

i don't like anti squeal coatings... i get to worried that it'll affect the breaking when needed.

it could be totally baseless but i dunno

Old 04-07-2017 | 02:07 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by toppy
i don't like anti squeal coatings... i get to worried that it'll affect the breaking when needed.

You shouldn't be, it's great stuff.
Generally, it's about reducing harmonics, or squeal.
Most folks over do it. When you take off your old pads, take care to note inner from outer. Look at the backside, opposite of the pads. Note where there has been metal contact. Apply the anti squeal paste to the backs of the new pads in those locations - you don't have to lather it all over. I like to let it 'skin' over a bit, like sit them in the sun for a little while before I install. Lightly lube any moving points, and take it easy on the brakes for a while.
Great stuff, I have been using it for years. I just bought a new bottle of it, that stuff will last for years. I have a friend that swears by spray paint! Ugh...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CINV88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CINV88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-07-2017 | 02:16 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by toppy

It is totally baseless. The only thing braking it affects is the annoying squeal. But performance, not an iota.

Old 04-07-2017 | 02:28 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

There are many "miracles in a can" ( and tube ) that have been used ( some with much success and many with little ) over the years. I had the opportunity to do some "off campus" work for GM ( through the Milford Proving Grounds ) years ago on a program that was overseen by Herb Schwartz who one of the brake guru's at GM. This was when the "W" chassis was first released. They were having terrible problems with noise and longevity issues with the rear pads. I was turned on to a product ( http://www.dynatexinc.com/product-ca...wProduct=49593 ) that provide fantastic results in minimizing/eliminating noise in most instances. It also provided an excellent coating on clean machined surfaces which the calipers slid on as well as the caliper pins. A light coating on the backside of the brakes pads ( where the inner pad contacted the caliper piston ) along with a coating on the inner side of outboard where the outboard pads "clips" in works wonders.

Old 04-07-2017 | 03:27 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser

When applying brakes it's easy to forget that there is a Tremendous amount of force being applied to the pistons in the calipers. Anti-Seize is simply a solution that goes back decades, in that vibration where there is metal to metal contact causes noise. The anti-seize/moly paste acts as a buffer between those metal surfaces to reduce or get rid of the noise. This applies to all brakes, not just our bikes. Cars/Trucks are notorious for a lot of brake noise without compound as well. It's no big deal, people don't see it, and you're definitely not going to hurt anything by applying it. Matter of fact, most pad sets include a small tube these days. It's vibration from metal to metal contact at high pressure/speed.

Old 04-07-2017 | 03:37 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior

I did not have any noise on the original pads and just replaced front brake pads with stock pads without anti-seize and no noise issues.

Quick Reply: Anticease and Anti-Squeal Paste for Brakes. Good or bad idea?