Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anticease and Anti-Squeal Paste for Brakes. Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017 | 08:51 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

so what non-OEM brake paste are folks using? Is automotive stuff ok?

Bought aftermarket brake pads that didn/t come w/ brake paste so used some I had from OReilly Auto parts for vehicles.

Also, why is it only put on the REAR pads?

Old 04-05-2017 | 08:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I find it remarkable that so much has changed in the world in the 8 years since this thread was started, except brake technology.

Old 04-05-2017 | 09:41 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I find it remarkable that so much has changed in the world in the 8 years since this thread was started, except brake technology.
Ketchup is the same as it was 50 years ago.

Is that remarkable too?

Old 04-05-2017 | 11:00 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by F150HD

Is that remarkable too?
Why yes. Yes it is.

However, I'd say that in the intervening 50 years, we have a lot more choices for how to flavor our food - hot sauces, etc.

Last edited by Keithhu; 04-06-2017 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
F150HD (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017 | 04:46 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by c50plus
There seems to be at least two schools of thought when it comes to brake caliper maintenance. Some people uses a little bit of anticease on retaining pins and bolts. Others
actually apply Anti-Squeal Paste on the back of the brake pad to reduce braking noises.

The other school of thought is to do nothing. Not even use brake cleaner because the chemical can deteriorate the seals.

What are your opinions on this? Thanks
allowing parts to move freely is mechanically always a good idea. That's what brake grease on the pins and ears of brake pads and caliper piston seals is all about. You need to use a high temperature grease or anti-seize, and you certainly don't want it on the pad faces.

something between the pad and the caliper piston is there to dampen the fretting that can take place, which makes the noise. You can do it with a grease that lubricates, reducing the friction and the resulting noise. You can do it with a super smooth plate or low friction shim that will also reduce friction and the resulting noise. You can do it with a goo that will basically bond the pad to the caliper piston.

There is nothing requiring you to do only one of these categories. You can certainly do both. Or neither. Though doing neither is not something I'd particularly recommend. Especially if you want good brakes.

Old 04-06-2017 | 10:57 AM
Hephaestus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by F150HD

Is that remarkable too?
MMMMMM Ketchup! Lol

Old 04-06-2017 | 11:01 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member

I use brake squeal on my brake pads. I like the stuff. I also do a couple burn in runs to get them to seat correctly.

Old 04-07-2017 | 09:47 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
I use brake squeal on my brake pads. I like the stuff. I also do a couple burn in runs to get them to seat correctly.
The paste discussion is long over. We're talking about ketchup!

LMAO!

Old 04-07-2017 | 10:09 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior

I like ketchup on fries, shrimp, hush puppies, corn dogs, hot dogs, hamburgers, tater wedges, hash browns, fried fish, fried chicken, chicken tenders, chicken strips, poorly cooked steak, .................................................. ........

Old 04-07-2017 | 10:17 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by svarnster
I like ketchup on fries, shrimp, hush puppies, corn dogs, hot dogs, hamburgers, tater wedges, hash browns, fried fish, fried chicken, chicken tenders, chicken strips, poorly cooked steak, .................................................. ........
What about fish sticks (not to be confused with fried fish. . . Although I love fish sticks, they're hardly fish). LMAO!

Quick Reply: Anticease and Anti-Squeal Paste for Brakes. Good or bad idea?