Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for Riding in Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
tremor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fast FLHX
nude, lots of sunblock and a camel back.
Sorry, "nude" is the exact opposite of what you want to do.

Cover up, make your body perspire and keep the perspiration on your skin.

Here's why, if the environment (everything outside your body) is warmer than your insides (98.6 for most of us) then your body works overtime to cool the surface.

If you dress down, then the perspiration evaporates, your skin dries and the body responds by trying to produce more perspiration causing you to lose fluids at a dangerous pace.

Eventually you get heat sickness and collapse.

You don't want this.

Cover up. Keep the surface of your skin moist.

Trust me here.

--

Have fun at Sturgis, I decided to stay local for the National Bikers Roundup at the Atlanta Speedway, Aug 7-9, 2009.

I've got riders coming in from out of town crashing at the pad, so I'm play host!

Last edited by tremor; 06-04-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
kstewart422
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We try to leave the house at 3:30-4:00am so we can call it a day early. The neighbors don't seem to like it. )

Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
It doesn't get even close to that in S. LA where I live, rarely higher than 95° but with stifling humidity that brings the heat index up to well-above 100° most of the summer. Remember that the humidity is also usually high in TX, so I wonder what the heat index was that day we rode across TX. Probably higher than it would be at 115° in the desert SW. We're accustomed to high heat indeces here, or at least as tolerant as a human body can be, and we were all suffering on that ride in August, 1998. We made it 575 miles across TX that day and were all glad it was behind us.
I hear ya. That's why I hate monsoon season here. When it's 118 and the humidity gets to about 40%, it's almost unbearable! I can handle almost any heat as long as there's no humidity.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,908 Likes on 1,425 Posts

We about dropped once heading east into Blythe. That was bad. Rested up and continued on to Pheonix. At 1000 the next morning in Pheonix, it was already 100+. We looked at the mountains and went that way. It was great.

Ah, tremor, the way it works is: Your body dumps water through the skin to evaporate, cooling the body. We call this "sweat," and the cooling effect can be observed in what is called a "swamp cooler." If you have no evaporation, you have no cooling, the body overheats, you die of heat exhaustion (hyperthermia). If you have too much sweat/evaporation and no fluid replenishment, your body dehydrates, you die from dehydration, not heat exhaustion, although I suppose that one could argue that after dumping all the fluid it could, the body would then overheat and be dehydrated. It would probably be a "they both killed you" and you'd have to get a pathologist to argue which one was predominantly at fault. If you cool the body too much (not likely in West Texas), you die from hypothermia. Three minutes unprotected in the Alaskan waters will kill you. So, drink plenty of fluids, cover the skin to protect it from the brutal Texas sun, optionally use a cooling device like water spray, cool vest, etc., but understand that you're augmenting the system God put there in the first place. Oh, drinking too much water will kill you too. I don't think you can die from too much Gatorade, as it is osmotically neutral. Of course, the sugars in it....

Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

light colored long sleave t shirts keep you cool by the flapping of the material

and keeps from getting sun burned to-ride safe

Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Here in Puerto Rico, where it's hot and humid, I wear an oversize pair of pants. I'm a 35 waist but I have a pair of 38 loose fit jeans, so the air blows up the legs when going down the road. At night, I use a pair of camping awning rubber bungi cords to blouse the legs to stop the air. Works for me.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 PM
D2R
Banned

Cool Head under the helmet,SPF50,wet bandana around the neck,lots of water,ice tea,no booze, lots of stops,on the road before the sun come up,take a long rest break in the heat of the afternoon and ride till dark.

Last edited by D2R; 06-04-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Under Armour..cool when its hot, warm when its cold.
If budget is an issue, check the surplus store.

Use a layer under your long sleeve shirt and/or vented jacket, get a CamelBack..use sunblock and chapstick..

Ride and enjoy...