Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID- Not so Good

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Crazie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID- Not so Good

Yeah, I'm kinda confused too. If I am reading correctly an H4 bulb has both high and low beams built into it. Then again, I suppose if you only supply power to the high beam side you'll only get high beams. Anyways, I found this: http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...silverstar.htm I am looking at the H4 motorcycle lamp. Am I on the right track for using this as my high beam only?

TIA,
Crazie

Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went form the stock, to the dual beam and then the HID. Sorry to say the HID is a total waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dual Beam with a PIAA H11 (Low Beam) in my opinion is as good if not better than the narrow HID. If you raise the HID to get futher down the road, then the High Beam shoots to the stars! The High beam in both the Dual and HID is an H8. Try and find a higher wattage replacement. Good Luck.

I understand the HID is being discontinued due to lack of sales. Find someone in your area that has the dual beam and see for yourself.

I'm not going back to the Dual Beam but I am keeping it. I just don't think there is a $400 improvement with the HID. In fact I am not sure that it is better than the Dual Beam (with the PIAA).

I have PIAA 55W Ion Crystals in my Passing Lamps and with the HID amied down to where I can use the High Beam I am satisfied. I may swap out for the Dual Beam just to make sure it's as good as I remember. But frankly, a good set of passing lamps will make a world of difference. The Ion Crystals I have reduce glare and provide excellent illumination.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crazie

Yeah, I'm kinda confused too. If I am reading correctly an H4 bulb has both high and low beams built into it. Then again, I suppose if you only supply power to the high beam side you'll only get high beams. Anyways, I found this: http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...silverstar.htm I am looking at the H4 motorcycle lamp. Am I on the right track for using this as my high beam only?

TIA,
Crazie
Crazie,

Your sig line says that your running a HID. If in fact its a true H-D HID and not a bulb that proports to be an HID thats actually an H-4 bulb which a lot of that is going on. Everyone is trying to get into the craze of HID, but if you have a true HID By Harley currently installed then you have the exact same thing as Bob Zubaugh and myself. If that is the case forget the H-4.

But if you have purchased a bulb that is from someone and they claim thats an HID but its an H-4 in the normally stock H-D head lamp with a single bulb in the center then the H-4 from Sylviania SilverStar will work. Wallmart or any auto parts place sells them. What you would pay in shipping prolly would make up any of he savings you may get from an on line order. So it maybe worth your while to price check local first.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

A little work with a dremel and you can get the H11 to fit in the Hi beam spot. 55 watts verse 35 and the H11 is easier to find...But not much.[sm=scared09.gif]

Old 05-16-2006, 11:00 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember what it's called but I have the light with two bulbs that cost $162. WORTHLESS! Had a dealer tell me it has the same wattage in both bulbs as a new stock light (55/35 I believe). Said it was designed for looks, not function. I believe him. If someone wanted to trade me there stock light, 05 or 06 RK and throw in $50 I think I would do it.
Gary