Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower My Floorboards? Need Some Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lower My Floorboards? Need Some Help!!

I'm 6' 0'', but have a 29" inseam. I never had the feeling before that my floorboards were too high on any other HD I've had, but on my '09 Street Glide, it feels like my feet are up too darn high! I need to note I use a HD Sundowner seat, but noticed the same thing with the SG stock seat. With arthritis in both knees, I can tell a big difference in riding a '06 Fat Boy vs. my '09 SG. I asked the dealer about lowering the floorboards, and because of the new frame, they are not adjustable! Does anyone know of any way or any product that LOWERS the floorboards on a '09 SG? I don't need to extend them out, just lower them. I would greatly appreciate all input!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much help, but I felt the same way on my 07 till I got used to it. I'm 5' 11" 30" inseam. Maybe some cruise pegs would help you stretch out a little.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 PM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by SG 1
Not much help, but I felt the same way on my 07 till I got used to it. I'm 5' 11" 30" inseam. Maybe some cruise pegs would help you stretch out a little.
Thanks for your reply. I can stand the added height of the floorboards when riding and do have cruise pegs. But the issue is when I put my feet down when stopping, like at a red light. My knees (arthritis in both of them) are up higher and it takes a little more time (because of the height of the floorboards and the angle/bend of my knees) to get my feet to the ground. Not complaining, but it's more painful... nothing like my Fat Boy (easy peasy!). Maybe I ought to start taking Celebrex again, but have heard too many bad things about it.

Sure wish somebody had a reasonable solution!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I have a hard enough time not scraping the boards now on corners. I too have a bit of knee problems, have the Soos extenders but lowering would make the problem worse. Taller seat?????

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer

Are you worried about scraping the boards on the ground when you lean? I'm not sure about 09 models, but they seem pretty low for leaning already on my 04 - maybe that's why they raised them up.

If I recall, I saw some adjustable floorboards from drag specialties. Not sure on the model/years though.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dnitram
I'm 6' 0'', but have a 29" inseam. I never had the feeling before that my floorboards were too high on any other HD I've had, but on my '09 Street Glide, it feels like my feet are up too darn high! I need to note I use a HD Sundowner seat, but noticed the same thing with the SG stock seat. With arthritis in both knees, I can tell a big difference in riding a '06 Fat Boy vs. my '09 SG. I asked the dealer about lowering the floorboards, and because of the new frame, they are not adjustable! Does anyone know of any way or any product that LOWERS the floorboards on a '09 SG? I don't need to extend them out, just lower them. I would greatly appreciate all input!!!
I've been looking for a friend who just bought a 2009 CVO Road Glide. I found these made by Kuryakyn. They move the boards an inch. Nothing else is available yet as far as I know. Neither WildBill or Ness have anything for the 09s.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...cID/93/IMID/83

Steve

Old 06-04-2009, 07:55 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Originally Posted by sifularson
I've been looking for a friend who just bought a 2009 CVO Road Glide. I found these made by Kuryakyn. They move the boards an inch. Nothing else is available yet as far as I know. Neither WildBill or Ness have anything for the 09s.

Steve
First of all, THANKS to all of you for your suggestions!! I looked at this link:

which I believe is the Kuryakyn #4588. I've just got to figure out if moving out AND up would help. Man I sure wish somebody had something to lower the boards an inch!! I've got a friend in our neighborhood that got his '09 SG right after I got mine. He came off a '07 Fat Boy... He told me tonight that he felt the floorboards on his SG were higher, too! Heck, he has a 32" inseam (mine barely makes 29") and he said he much prefered the lower boards on the Fat Boy, even thought holding the SG up from a roll to stop was safer on his Fat Boy... I agreed! I sure do hope that somebody comes up with something to lower the floorboards! With a taller seat, it could make a difference for somebody else, but with my 29" inseam and short little fat legs, I don't need to be up any higher off the ground! LOL!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the same inseam and had to adjust the boards on my 07 king after I lowered the rear. I know you can't adjust the boards on the 09, but what did help me because of the arthritis in my knees also are the highway pegs because I can keep my heel on the board and my toes against the peg and it stretches my knees forward abit to make a difference in comfort, and when coming to a stop if your knees are not cramped it won't be a problem getting feet on ground fast. Try it you'll notice a difference.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Cool

Originally Posted by bigjames19
I have the same inseam and had to adjust the boards on my 07 king after I lowered the rear. I know you can't adjust the boards on the 09, but what did help me because of the arthritis in my knees also are the highway pegs because I can keep my heel on the board and my toes against the peg and it stretches my knees forward abit to make a difference in comfort, and when coming to a stop if your knees are not cramped it won't be a problem getting feet on ground fast. Try it you'll notice a difference.
I do have highway pegs and do put my heel on the boards and lay the rest of my boot on the pegs a lot when I get tired of the pegs or the boards alone. I've found that if I slide my boots about half way off the floorboards right before I stop, it's easier and quicker for me to get my feet on the ground. I don't know about you, but when my legs angle away from the tank, the darn angle just about kills my knees and I've got to put them back down on the floorboards... Thinking seriously about taking Celebrex again! When I took it, nothing bothered my knees, but I've heard a lot of bad talk about it. Been using glucosomine/condroitin ever since I quit the Celebrex.

Darn Harley for making the '09 Touring floorboards non-adjustable! If I could just find somebody that would trade their '09 Tri-Glide for my '09 SG!! LOL!!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
dnitram
Road Master

Any more ideas? Anyone??

Quick Reply: Lower My Floorboards? Need Some Help!!