Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjusting clutch to engage closer to grip???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How do you adjusting clutch to engage closer to grip???

I am trying to get my clutch to engage closer to the grip. I like it to engage about 3/4" off the grip as I am realeasing the lever. I can't seem to get it there. As I am adjusting the clutchpack with the hexscrew, would turing it in more, or out more, move the engagement point closer to the grip?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePointman
I am trying to get my clutch to engage closer to the grip. I like it to engage about 3/4" off the grip as I am realeasing the lever. I can't seem to get it there. As I am adjusting the clutchpack with the hexscrew, would turing it in more, or out more, move the engagement point closer to the grip?
Out..instead of the 1/2 - 1 turn, try 1 - 1 1/2 turns

Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did it by adjusting the cable adjuster. You just need to adjust it so it closes the gap or up if that makes sense.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried backing out the hexscrew adjuster and that just forces more slack to be taken up at the cable adjuster and does not move the clutch engagement at all. This is really starting to worry me as I have a 1500km ride to go on this Friday. Any other ideas?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

If you tighten up the cable adjustment, effectively shortening the cable housing you will increase the gap or free travel of the clutch lever. The clutch will engage sooner. Just make sure that it does disengage. I like to run mine a little looser than recommended to get engagement right off the handlebar. I leave my adjustment at the clutch at spec or about 3/4 turns back after it touches.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

You need to "shorten" the cable. Make it shorter to have it engage closer to the grip.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Just be prepared, because the bike WILL lurch under you when you start it IN GEAR on a cold engine.

Ben

Old 06-04-2009, 01:30 AM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this video it may help ...

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...clutch-two.htm

He's made a few other videos that show you how to adjust primary, throttle and idle cables, etc.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

I tried backing out the hexscrew adjuster and that just forces more slack to be taken up at the cable adjuster and does not move the clutch engagement at all. This is really starting to worry me as I have a 1500km ride to go on this Friday. Any other ideas?
That is strange, it works on mine. I have the SE clutch spring and use a 1 -1 1/4 turn out. I do this because the spring is so strong. My wife cannot pull the lever on my bike.

The info telling you to shorten the cable is wrong. It is bassackwards.....

Assume you have not adjusted the clutch basket therefore leaving the release point stable (same amount of travel) shorten the cable with the adjusting nut while watching the lever. Shorten the cable and the lever moves away from the grip. Lengthen the cable and the lever moves close to the grip. With the cable travel remaining the same the clutch cannot help but release closer to the grip.

Only problem you are left with an excessive amount of free play at the lever.

How close to the grip are you trying for? And why? Maybe we can come up with some other solution if we know the problem.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok when you adjust the rod you are taking up all the lash between the clutch spring/rod and the lever inside the trans case where the cable hooks up to in the case. Now the final adj is in the cable that gives you the lever free play. The cable will do nothing for clutch grabbing sooner, it is in the tightness of adj the rod. If you adj the rod too tight the clutch can possible drag. Try adjusting the rod to minimum spec (1/2 turn out after contacting the spring) then adjust your cable to spec and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: How do you adjusting clutch to engage closer to grip???