Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjusting clutch to engage closer to grip???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 nailed it!

Originally Posted by bagman1
ok when you adjust the rod you are taking up all the lash between the clutch spring/rod and the lever inside the trans case where the cable hooks up to in the case. Now the final adj is in the cable that gives you the lever free play. The cable will do nothing for clutch grabbing sooner, it is in the tightness of adj the rod. If you adj the rod too tight the clutch can possible drag. Try adjusting the rod to minimum spec (1/2 turn out after contacting the spring) then adjust your cable to spec and you should be fine.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
The info telling you to shorten the cable is wrong. It is bassackwards.....

We are both right in a way. You shorten the cable cover making the cable its self longer.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The pressure plate adjustment is the initial adjust you fine tune with the cable adjuster,until you get approx 1/8" freeplay, checking where the cable goes into the lever

Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Tenn Ridge Runner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I got my bike back from having the 1000 mi service done I wasn't happy with the clutch adjustment . I had to let it almost all the way out before it engaged. I rode right back and complained. The mechanic had me sit on bike and hold it upright. He took off the cover and had me start the bike and put it in gear. He adjusted it while I let it out to the friction point. When I was happy with it he tightened everything down and put it all back together and away I rode. Never had any problems.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:18 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tenn Ridge Runner
After I got my bike back from having the 1000 mi service done I wasn't happy with the clutch adjustment . I had to let it almost all the way out before it engaged. I rode right back and complained. The mechanic had me sit on bike and hold it upright. He took off the cover and had me start the bike and put it in gear. He adjusted it while I let it out to the friction point. When I was happy with it he tightened everything down and put it all back together and away I rode. Never had any problems.
Can someone tell me whether the mechanic let the hexadjuster out or turned it in more? I have tried both with no success.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info thanks guys-ride safe

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePointman
Can someone tell me whether the mechanic let the hexadjuster out or turned it in more? I have tried both with no success.

I'm still confused, as well.

I know how to adjust both the clutch pack & cable, but I still can't get my clutch to engage as soon as the lever comes off the handlebar.

Anyone?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenn Ridge Runner
When the mechanic adjusted the clutch with you sitting on the bike, did he make the adjustment only underneath the derby cover, or did he also adjust the cable with you on the bike?
Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shorten the cable this will give you a shorter throw at the lever.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Quick Reply: How do you adjusting clutch to engage closer to grip???