Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Ultra seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 09 Ultra seat

I posted this in the MCC section but thought I would post it here also since this is the touring section and a lot of guys are buying 09 Ultras and EGs.

About three weeks ago we had a guy ride in from TN to have his 09 ultra seat worked on. When we started working on it we did so like we have done with the 08-09 seats. Well, big surprise when we got the foam cut away because there was two hollow spots in the sitting area of the seat. I thought maybe it was just a fluke and they had made, an air bubble which foam will do if not pour correctly. Well, last week we saw another one like this. That got me thinking that maybe someone up in the HD HQ is listening about the seats being too wide and this was their remedy to fix that issue. Then yesterday a guy calls the shop says he just bought a 09 Ultra, he hasn't ridden it but the seat is bad just sitting on the showroom floor and wanted to me to pick it up and work on it while he was getting pipes and other stuff put on. I felt the sides of the seat and they felt hollow like the two previous mentioned seats did. On my way out of the dealer a guy who Fatboy seat we worked on last year stopped and said he has a new ultra and he keeps sliding forward. He bought this bike two weeks ago. I felt that seat and you guessed it, hollow sides. This morning I decided I would take some pictures of a pre-09 seat (09 bike but sold before 09)and what the current 09 seats are looking like. Here is what I have found.

This is a 09 that was sold before Jan 1, 09

This seat is a 09 that was purchased two days ago seat. The red lines point out indentions in the foam and the reason they are there is because the foam is hollow in this section.

09 Seat sold before Jan 1, 09

The two day old 09 seat. Holy crap.

If I were HD I would put this picture on the wall saying 'HOW NOT TO MAKE A SEAT" I am almost to a loss of words when I see a seat such as this because I have to wonder WTF were they thinking? The center section of the seat is going to be a MAJOR pressure point because there isn't any foam in there to give support across the seat. Tall and heavier riders are going to slide forward because there the lack of foam isn't there to stop them from doing that, the seat actually has a slope forward in it.

I have already figured out how to remedy this but honestly I should be a tweaker and not a rebuilder but we do what we gotta do. I honestly thought that HD couldn't do any worse on these seats. WRONG! Instead of getting better they are getting worse which is good for my business but I honestly don’t think poor quality like this should be getting sold on $20k motorcycles. Whoever they have designing their seats don’t know the difference between their head and their ***.

My conclusion is try and narrow the seats so it isn't too wide they have done something to create these air bubbles, they are too symetrical for them to be just a fluke but doing so has made the seat worse because there is no foam in these areas to support your weight.

Last picture is a 09 touring bike seat pan...next time I have a 08 seat pan I will take a picture of it so you will be able to see the difference in the two.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting. I sent you an email when you have the time to respond.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys...Great post! My seat is coming up in the Appointment list (6/10). I've never sat on my stock seat, since I have the SunRay Heated seat on the bike (til I get my updated seat back from you guys, then the updated seat will be my primary seat til it gets cold and snowy again).

I would be very interested to see if my stock seat has those air pockets too...(bike was built between Feb 10th and March 5th, I took possession of the bike on 3/21).

Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Now I'm wondering if mine is like that.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
dave7mm
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadX
My conclusion is try and narrow the seats so it isn't too wide they have done something to create these air bubbles, they are too symetrical for them to be just a fluke but doing so has made the seat worse because there is no foam in these areas to support your weight.
I started with a EG Standard on my Road Glide.Its narrow compared to a UC seat.
The EGS seat sucks big time even more so than the UC seat.
Your buiness is very safe.H-D should just pass the seat building to someone who gives a chit.They sure dont.
dave

Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dave7mm
I started with a EG Standard on my Road Glide.Its narrow compared to a UC seat.
The EGS seat sucks big time even more so than the UC seat.
Your buiness is very safe.H-D should just pass the seat building to someone who gives a chit.They sure dont.
dave

Yes , right now is a good time to be in this business. I said last year I didn't think they could make them any worse then came the 09's and I said that again, now they have one upped themselves by doing this not even a year after they come out. I am going to quit saying they cant make them any worse because they continue to prove me wrong.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

ttt for the evening guys to see

Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Allen I talked to Steve yesterday and got a ride in appt on 16th for you to do your magic . Now I know why I feel like I may be sliding forward on this stock seat.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by acchd
Allen I talked to Steve yesterday and got a ride in appt on 16th for you to do your magic . Now I know why I feel like I may be sliding forward on this stock seat.

Sounds good, see you on the 16th

Old 06-21-2009, 11:22 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Well I had my ride in appt this past Tuesday. Pretty day for a ride about 65 miles from me. Right away Allen could tell it was one of these new 09 stock seats with hardly no foam padding on sides he has pictured in this thread. Allen suggest I do the double memory foam and he dropped me down and back just alittle. I watched the entire process in his shop. The seat feels great now and I can't speak highly enough about Allen and his crew Steve & Brent. If you have the chance and live close enough do a ride in appointment !

Quick Reply: 09 Ultra seat