Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Without a wheel chock!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Richpend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Without a wheel chock!

Will be trailering the bike in a few weeks, I'm using a friends trailer and it is an open trailer. He hauls his ultra around in it so I guess he knows how to tie his bike down. I asked him if it had a wheel chock and he said no, so I'm asking what is the safest way to tie down my ultra without a wheel chock!?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

You have a nice looking bike. Do you really want to chance trailering without a wheel chock? Why don't you buy one, install it and when you finish with the trailer, let your friend keep it as a "thank you". Wheel ***** are cheep, paint isn't.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Richpend
Tourer

Thanks! I think I might just do that!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a pretty good idea actually. I've got a couple with different mounting bases for either two or solo bikes. If you aren't going to chock it, then get the front wheel up against something (like the front of the trailer). Make sure, absolutely sure, that where the wheel and tire is touching the trailer that it's lower than the front fender. In other words you can't just push the bike to the front of a trailer with a straight up front. Your front fender will get scrunched! Something has to be between it and the end of the trailer if that's what your pulling the bike to. Compress the front end with your tie downs pulling down on the bike. (If you have air shocks you might want to deflate both the front end and or shocks on the rear.) That will hold the bike from moving forward or backward. Both sides should be down and compressed. (Tie downs on each side of the front) Attach your tie downs to the rear so that it can't move laterally and your set. Don't forget that front end now, because if you don't have the tire pushing against something that brings the bike back far enough for the fender not to be able to hit the front, you'll regret it. Just ask my best Bud! If you haven't done it a couple of times, it might just be easier to go buy the chock. Good Luck.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

I mount a Condor in my trailer when I trailer the bike and strap the forks just above the fender bolts because I don't like to compress the suspension for long periods. I think it might be hard on the seals. Plus I found that the straps don't loosen from the suspension bouncing up and down. I've done 2 trips that way from Florida to Sturges, 4,000 miles round trip, 4 bikes in one trailer with no problems. Worth the cost of a good wheel chalk.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I have done it like bigskyhd a few times with no problems.
Another thing, if you do it like this secure the front wheel so it cant turn.You could use tie downs from the sides of the trailer to the wheel or lumber used as a spacers.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hauled open air for 30 yrs and just bought a chock this spring when I brough my Deluxe home from being dynoed....Dont no if I like it yet but will come in handy if I get a differant trailer were the rails are higher,now my bikes fit up against the front rail and dont touch my fenders.....

Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Scooter_092196
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother had to trailer his old bike when he sold it. This will probably sound funny, but our dad made a nice wheel chock out of lumber, fastened it to the aluminum trailer and it worked wonderful. Used soft ties and rachet straps (2) per side on front and a single rachet strap from the tie-down point wrapped around the rear tire twice (through the rim and around the tire) and over to the other tie-down point on the other side of the trailer. It didn't move a bit.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been using the same trailer for 20 years. I don't have a wheel chock and don't see the need. The front wall is low, so I just put the front tire against it....No chock for my truck either. The bed wall is high enough that the fender would hit the edge of the bed. I just put a couple of boards in front of the tire to set the bike back a few inches.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter_092196
My brother had to trailer his old bike when he sold it. This will probably sound funny, but our dad made a nice wheel chock out of lumber, fastened it to the aluminum trailer and it worked wonderful. Used soft ties and rachet straps (2) per side on front and a single rachet strap from the tie-down point wrapped around the rear tire twice (through the rim and around the tire) and over to the other tie-down point on the other side of the trailer. It didn't move a bit.
Its alot better if ya can get the tiedown on the back wheel streight back on the trailer rather then to the side.....Just a helpfull and safer hint....

Quick Reply: Without a wheel chock!