Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing fuse with brake/turn module

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
clanker24
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing fuse with brake/turn module

I have an 01 ultra and cannot use the turn signal/brake light module as the fuse for the running lights blows when you use the brakes. With the module in & after the bike runs for a few minutes, when you hold the foot or hand brake the fuse pops. I unhooked the rear brake switch thinking that might be the problem, but it made no difference. Without the module everything is fine.Am running out of ideas. I might have to take her to the shop. That might get expensive.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 127 Posts

maybe it could be the bulbs, hd's can be picky about the bulbs used. also what type of module do you have? the first one hd came out with was a brake turn only module, then a few years back they upgraded it to a brake run turn module, are you sure the latter is compatible with your bike?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

is this a new development? have you been running this module and all of a sudden this started? or is this a new module?

if it is an old module (as in you've been running it for a while), they do go bad. i had one that i had to replace cause it just decided to stop working completely. didn't blow any fuses, but just stopped working.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Tom here. It sounds as if something is improperly grounded somewhere in your system. Wiring is a PITA. I also had one of these go bad on me and it took me several weeks to figure out it was the module, not the signals or brake light. Never again. Took it off and never looked back.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM
clanker24
Novice

Thanks for the replies. The original module went a few years ago. The module & a different fuse went at the same time. I blamed it on an overloaded circuit as I was running a sat. radio. Maybe that was not the case. I have the lighter outlet fused alone now. I got a replacement module last year & this has happened every time I've tried to use it. I went through 2 packs of fuses trying to isolate the problem. I was hoping the brake switch would be the answer. Too easy I guess.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

sounds like it might be a bad module. easy check, get with a bud and have him try it. if it blows a fuse on his bike, definitely a bad module.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy the HD module, buy the Badlands Illuminator.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
clanker24
Novice

I borrowed a good module off a buddies bike (04) & it did the same thing. We didn't put mine on his yet, but I would bet it will work on his.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
clanker24
Novice

OK I tried some more stuff & went thru some more fuses. I took the bulbs out of the turn signals & didn't blow a fuse. Put in one bulb and no blown fuse. Put in 2 and blew the fuse. Did this twice with same result. Put in the old module & it is just a brake/turn. Does this mean that I need a different bulb for the run/brake/turn? I'll switch bulbs with my buddy & find out. Thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 127 Posts

i would check and see if the bulbs was original, if not i would get hd bulbs. i had a 2000 sporster that would get electrical gremlins if i used any bulbs other than hd.

Quick Reply: Blowing fuse with brake/turn module