Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers backrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM
lennyhd2002
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers backrest

Anybody have an opinion on the drivers backrest? Do they make the ride much better? Can you actually kick back a little and cruise without being all upright and getting back pain?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Goodtimes07
Intermediate

I realy like it for anyting longer than 2 hours , you can get them that are ajustable too , as in recline.
Ill try to add a pic

[/IMG]

Last edited by Goodtimes07; 06-02-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: pic
Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Tom here. Yes! Mustang seat with the backrest is about the most comfortable thing out there IMO. Depending on where the back pain is that you are getting there are multiple different solutions. Upper back pain is usually from the bars. Lower back pain is from your seat and or the placement of your feet. By extending your feet out to the side a bit some of the lower back pain can be resolved, but add a back rest to the equation and you will be in heaven. I found that the stock seat on my bike provided no low back support at all. I modded the seat myself to give it a bit more of a rise(pardon the pun). Many guys I ride with get Mustang seats with a 4 or 5 inch rise that acts as a backrest. This has helped their comfort greatly. There have been a few posts about the HD rider backrest lately and they have been rather mixed.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-02-2009, 03:12 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best money I ever spent, no more back pain ride relax very enjoyable...non adjustable from harley

Old 06-02-2009, 03:12 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

For my old bad back, a back rest is a positive improvement. As referred to in an earlier post, changing the position of your feet from time to time is also helpful. If you don't have highway pegs of some type, get them.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

I started with Riders backrests when I customized my '01 Indian in 2005. I've had a riders backrest ever since and will not own a bike without one. Makes the riding much better and far less fatique involved! Perhaps I'm a whimp, but I would rather enjoy the day(s) of riding rather than feel like crap for 3 days after...

Just my $.02

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto here on the best investment. Takes the strain off the shoulders.

Have to take it off when the OL rides though.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:18 PM
d2jlking
Tourer

Good info. I have been considering one, and it sounds like it would help. I noticed a bit of lower back pain on my first day riding my new bike. Maybe I'm getting old......

Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely, positively one the best things you can do for your back, and your back side. Makes a world of difference. Once you get your handlebars and seat with backrest figured out you can ride 10-12 hours a day without any problem. I'm totally serious! I use the Corbin detachable, but there are many others that are probably just as good. I prefer the harder seat for much better back support.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the non adjustable HD backrest and it does a good job. I was included in on my deal. If I replace it I will be going with a company called Utopia. He does a real nice job and it's adjustable forward and backwards.
http://www.utpr.com/

Quick Reply: Drivers backrest