Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers backrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
JohnB445
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have an HD adjustable backrest on an 08 RKC.

It did help my lower back a lot. It also created

another problem. By keeping me upright. I started to

lean forward creating wrist pain. New bars, and a new

seat solved both problems. I don't use the back rest

now.

We all are not built the same. Just my 2 cents.

I hope it helps with your problem.

I also have a 1980 FXWG. I can ride for hours with little

or no back pain. I think it is due to the fact I lean back, and

the seat provides a lot of support for the lower back.

Last edited by JohnB445; 06-02-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had lower back surgery a few years back and for me the backrest is a must. I try to keep my back in shape and I sit upright while riding. I think you would be pleased, especially on long trips. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
rainking
Novice

Just added HD adjustable backrest to 09 Ultra. Great investment and many more hours of comfortable riding! Only time it's removed is when riding 2 up.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mustang backrest with my sundowner. I never take it off.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi-Def
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Tom here. Yes! Mustang seat with the backrest is about the most comfortable thing out there IMO. Depending on where the back pain is that you are getting there are multiple different solutions. Upper back pain is usually from the bars. Lower back pain is from your seat and or the placement of your feet. By extending your feet out to the side a bit some of the lower back pain can be resolved, but add a back rest to the equation and you will be in heaven. I found that the stock seat on my bike provided no low back support at all. I modded the seat myself to give it a bit more of a rise(pardon the pun). Many guys I ride with get Mustang seats with a 4 or 5 inch rise that acts as a backrest. This has helped their comfort greatly. There have been a few posts about the HD rider backrest lately and they have been rather mixed.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies
That was the very first mod I did to my Road King. Mustang Seat, Passenger Backrest and an adjustable / removable rider backrest. Absolutely love it when out on a long highway cruise. Then I out the Kury Highway Pegs on my crash bars, and then cruise control. Now I gotta make sure that I do not fall asleep I have been know to let my mind wander a bit.

Get it and you will love it.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 PM
ABOKOL
Novice

I bought the adjustable back rest last Thursday and had returned it by Saturday afternoon. I have the low profile HD seat on my 06 FLHTPI, the hardware stuck up about 3/4" above the seat and then the backrest post was exposed about 6" from the bottom of tthe pad to the top of the seat. The real kicker was that when you adjusted the back rest forward or backward it snagged the leather of the seat and poked a hole in it. I think it normally sits down below the seat on the large stock seats but because the moveable bracket sat above the top of my overall seat height it created an issue with the moving hinge mechanism snagging the top of the leather. Be careful if you have a low profile seat!!! And yes it is a HD 2 up seat with a hole in the middle for their backrest.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Get the adjustable one. I couldn't ride very long without one on.

FYI: The new one they are making now (in 09) is an easy install and doesn't feel like it's pushing you forward like the old ones.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Yamhill Guy
Intermediate

I have to have the backrest. Without it, my back is hurting after 30-45 minutes (I slouch a bit too much). I've tried three different ones on three different seats. The HD backrest is too tall for me, even when it is adjusted as low as possible. It hits me in the middle of my back. I currently have a backrest with my Corbin seat. It's pretty good, but it doesn't swivel up and down. The best backrest I've had was on a Mustang seat on my Softail. Very adjustable and it swivels up and down (important when you want to lean back and stretch out). But the Mustang seat isn't very comfortable for me.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 AM
htc
Tourer

Best money I have ever spend...!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:47 AM
jd533
Road Captain

I have the HD Sundowner reat with rider backrest and love it. I can remove it in 2 seconds if I decide I don't want it orleave it in. I have only removed it to take my seat off.

Quick Reply: Drivers backrest