Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ape question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:20 AM
captaincaveman
|
Tourer
Default ape question

if I was to put 18" apes on my RK and decide that they were to big, could I downsize to 16s and use the same cables? The reason I ask is I ABSOLUTELY HATE the stock bars on my 99 RK. My back friggin hurts. I rode a couple of my buddies bikes with apes(1 had 16s the other was 18s) and loved the feel of both. I can't decide. If I go 16 and later want to go taller I'll need all new cables. That's money and I don't like paying for stuff(I know, so why the hell did ya buy a money pit bike) But if I go 18 at first and want to downsize can I use the same wires and cables?

Josh

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:33 AM
max56
Road Warrior

I think either way you go, if you do the labor yourself, you won't want to switch it out any time soon. Just sayin'.

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:47 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Tom here. Get the cables for 18"'s and the 16" bars, so that way you can upgrade to 18"'s without changing cables.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:51 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Im pretty sure youre going to have to go with 6 over on cables with either set so it shouldnt be a big deal to go from 16's to 18's or vice versa. Just pay attention to how much electic wiring you need to leave and I think you'll be fine. That being said, it would also be a good time to go for chrome controls and switches if youre into that. I got a set of brand new 16s with chrome controls and swithches and already internally wired on Ebay for $425 and that included shipping. Pulling all the wires yourself can be frustrating if youve never done it before. Good luck and post some pics after youre done.

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:54 AM
captaincaveman
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by max56
I think either way you go, if you do the labor yourself, you won't want to switch it out any time soon. Just sayin'.
Point well taken, but that wasn't the question

Josh

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:58 AM
captaincaveman
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Tom here. Get the cables for 18"'s and the 16" bars, so that way you can upgrade to 18"'s without changing cables.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies
Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Im pretty sure youre going to have to go with 6 over on cables with either set so it shouldnt be a big deal to go from 16's to 18's or vice versa. Just pay attention to how much electic wiring you need to leave and I think you'll be fine. That being said, it would also be a good time to go for chrome controls and switches if youre into that. I got a set of brand new 16s with chrome controls and swithches and already internally wired on Ebay for $425 and that included shipping. Pulling all the wires yourself can be frustrating if youve never done it before. Good luck and post some pics after youre done.
That's what I wanted to hear. If I start with 18s I can go down to 16s without having to change anything but the bars right?

Josh

Old 06-02-2009 | 07:06 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

Not sure I agree with using the +6 cable lengths, ESPECIALLY for 18' apes. sounds short to me. the bars in my sig pic are 16's and I went with +8 all around and that worked well. I wouldn't go with anything less than +8 for what your considering.
Just my opinion.

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:19 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

I don't think 6" over is going to be enough. I think I used 10" overs and wished I went with 2" more

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:21 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

I don't think 6" over is going to be enough. I think I used 10" overs and wished I went with 2" more on my 18"s

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:28 PM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cowboy1
I don't think 6" over is going to be enough. I think I used 10" overs and wished I went with 2" more on my 18"s
could you repeat that please?

Quick Reply: ape question