Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts
Default weird idle problem

07 road king, pciii, v&h big shots true duals.

no issues for over 2 years. but recently have started having an idle problem. sometimes when i start the bike, the idle is high. no problem, bike is cold..... well, the idle doesn't drop in 15-20 secs or so, it just continues to be at fast idle (how fast, don't know, no tach, but would guess 1300-1400 rpm).

if i shut the bike down, and restart, most times, the idle will drop to where it is supposed to be. occasionally not, have to restart again and it will drop.

every now and again i wouldn't have an issue with this, but it is starting to do it more frequently. getting ready to go on a road trip and would like to have it resolved by then. not worried that its gonna strand me anywhere, just don't like having to restart to get the idle right.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

anyone?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, been there and done that. First, get a can of Seafoam injector cleaner and put some in the tank, a little strong. 2 take the breather off and look into the intake at 12:00 position and spray some cleaner there to make sure the Idle air speed motor isn't sticking. 3 oil the throttle cables good, that will cause it also. After all of that, the last thing it could be is the induction module seals or in my case a cracked induction module. It took 2 years and 24,000 miles before mine was corrected. I hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 AM
bikerdude1903
Advanced

sounds like the sensor in the top of the front cyclinder that controls the idle till the engine warms up ... I've had one go bad and had different idle speeds at stop lights simular to what you describe ... once replaced the problem went away and hasn't been back

Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

thanks, will check those out

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine idles kinda like that,, i dont let it set there idling till it heats up( a couple minutes) usually , a quick twist of the throttle will make idle speed decrease... never knew one would be warmed up in 15 seconds (on a cold start)hot start sure

Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Buddy04284
Advanced

I had that problem on my 07 night train. Idled high (maybe 1300-1500rpm) even once warmed up. I could count to 10 seconds once I came to a stop and the idle would finally come down to mormal. I went a ride up Mount Washington in NH with it and had to shut it off several times because it wanted to run so high at idle.

when I finally had the bike dyno'd after putting on pipes and power commander the problem went away about 80-90% and only occasionally did it again. I traded the bike recently and bought an 09 electra glide classic so I could ride in comfort lol.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 AM
jorswift
Road Captain

What should the bike be idling at? I think mine maybe high.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Jason@ThunderCreekCustoms
Banned

Not sure on the 07 but on the 08 with throttle by wire if this happens you will need to cycle the ignition switch (key) on and off 4 times to reset computer.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by imrotton2
mine idles kinda like that,, i dont let it set there idling till it heats up( a couple minutes) usually , a quick twist of the throttle will make idle speed decrease... never knew one would be warmed up in 15 seconds (on a cold start)hot start sure
that is not what mine is doing. that is normal operation. unless i shut the bike down and do a restart, the idle will stay high, doesn't matter how long i run.

Originally Posted by Jason@ThunderCreekCustoms
Not sure on the 07 but on the 08 with throttle by wire if this happens you will need to cycle the ignition switch (key) on and off 4 times to reset computer.
no, on the 07, i just have to shut it off, then do a restart and its usually fine.

i'm thinking that the first thing to check would be the idle air speed motor as per dgriffith. the temp sensor next, though i think that if it were bad, then a restart wouldn't reset the idle to proper range.

gotta get to autozone and get some seafoam. i think i'll go ahead and service the ac filter and replace plugs while i'm at it.

Quick Reply: weird idle problem