Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:32 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Cool

Stange this subject should come up now, but here is my expierence the past couple of days with high idle. I took a 500 mile trip this past weekend, lots of riding in the mountians, so lots of on and off throttle. Towards the end of the trip, I noticed my bike seemed to be idling higher than normal, but after about 10-15 seconds, would come back to normal. Later on Sunday afternoon after I had gotten home, I rode about 30 more miles. My idle was up to about 2K rpm, and wouldn't drop. I tried adjusting the cables, no luck (2007 FLHTCU) I decided I'd have to take it to the HD shop on Tuesday afternoon when I got off work. Monday to work and back, the idle got even higher. By the tme I got off work on Tuesday afternoon, my idle was at 5500rpm!!!! I was running over 70mph in 6th gear...at idle. I smoked the brakes several times, had to kill the engine often to get my speed back to normal, then as quickly as all this started, it stopped. Now if I let go of the throttle, the engine would die, no idle at all. The HD shop found that the throttle position sensor stop set screw that is a strange metric threaded tamper proof set screw not meant to be messed with unless you have a special tool....was totally gone from my throttle body. As it screwed itself outward, it idled up the engine. Once it got all the way out, the throttle closed past the idle stop point and the engine would not idle. This part is not even sold separately by HD, the only solution (by them) is to replace the entire throttle body. My mechanic tapped the hole to a 6mm-1.0 thread and cut a bolt off to use as a set screw, cut a scew driver slot in it, used blue Loctited on it, made the adjustment per the manual, and I'm good to go. Simple solution to a bad situation. Was a VERY exciting ride from work to the HD shop, about 20 miles !!!! PACO

Old 06-03-2009 | 03:03 PM
skratch
|
Seasoned HDF Member

paco- that definitely sounds like an exciting ride! had that happen to me in my old vw once, had to drive about 50 miles like that. don't want to do that again. i cant believe hd does not have a separate idle screw for sale. thats just bogus.

i did as recommended. well almost. i didn't have any seafoam, so i sprayed some wd40 on the idle speed motor. so far, i haven't had the idle problem, so maybe that was it. only been a day, so will see what happens over the next few days. i inspected the housings and sensor connections and no evidence of cracks or bad connections. hopefully, taken care of.

thanks guys