Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! - Install - 14" Chubby W0572 on 08 RKC w/ABS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! - Install - 14" Chubby W0572 on 08 RKC w/ABS!!

I will install 14" Chubbys apes on my 08 RKC w/ABS this weekend using HDBikeParts extension kits (parts: CCKDABS, TBW, NAMZB) and I'm looking for help. I've run a search for DIY install instructions and I've found bits of help spread across 7 pages of threads (search: apes and install). There are a couple threads with links to webpages and Word documents. All great useful stuff but the bikes are pre-2008 withOUT ABS. I'm looking specifically for help with 2008 RKC with ABS.

If you know of a thread with good step-by-step guidance please post or PM me. I have a service manual so if feel free to provide page references. Also, I'm interested in the tools and parts needed to help with the install, e.g. type of glue for reapplying handgrips.

A couple questions:
- What is the best way to bleed the ABS brakes/brake line?
- Is placing the bike on a lift necessary?
- Is it absolutely necessary to remove the exhaust to apply the longer clutch?

Note: The best DIY guides I've seen are from 07FLHRCMarinePatriot (2007 RKC) and http://www.kenandjudy.us/Motorcycles...new_page_1.htm (2002 FLHTC), but again they are for older bikes.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by Lord Albany; 06-02-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Bleed the brakes the same way you would a non abs system. Keep res full and crack bleeder one at a time while keeping pumping the hand brake.

It all depends what type of exhaust you have. I had the true duals all I did was loosen the pipe at the bag and the trans bracket. After that there was plenty of room with the pipe sagging to take off the clutch cover. Also dont forget to put the bike on a 2x6 so you can lean it over. That way you can leave the oil in the trans. Make sure if the bike is cold you wait and let the oil drain back into the tranny.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MassHD
Bleed the brakes the same way you would a non abs system. Keep res full and crack bleeder one at a time while keeping pumping the hand brake.

It all depends what type of exhaust you have. I had the true duals all I did was loosen the pipe at the bag and the trans bracket. After that there was plenty of room with the pipe sagging to take off the clutch cover. Also dont forget to put the bike on a 2x6 so you can lean it over. That way you can leave the oil in the trans. Make sure if the bike is cold you wait and let the oil drain back into the tranny.
I have TDs so it should work the same with me. I'm not keen on taken my exhaust off. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Albany, I PM'd you! Good luck and post lots of info and pics when you finish.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Bump.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Have you seen the harley hog install page? Ken and Judy's probably better, but here is another.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/photos/my.../rkbarswap.pdf

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Exclamation Need Help Quickly!!

Alright. My Indy has my bike and called to ask about the brake line install. He believes that he must replace more than just the line that runs from the handlebar to the ABS unit. Does anyone have a picture of their install so that I can show him how to put the brakeline on my RKC?

I've done a search of the Forum and can't find anything that details the installation of the new brake line from HDBikeParts on an
ABS bike. So if you can send a pic or detailed instructions I'd appreciate it. I've also contacted Johnny Vaughn for help.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Lord Albany; 06-14-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Check your PM

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, it does the trick.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Have you seen the harley hog install page? Ken and Judy's probably better, but here is another.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/photos/my.../rkbarswap.pdf

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies
I'm not certain what the harley hog install page is but I did check the Forums' Knowledge Base page. Didn't find anything to help me. I've searched other forums but nothing helpful. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help! - Install - 14" Chubby W0572 on 08 RKC w/ABS!!