Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is all the turbulence coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Being on my *NINTH* shield (on my 08 SG) I've come to three conclusions:

1) http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/pr...mmyId=11800113

I hope that shows... It's a 12" Memphis Shade shield with a black gradient. "Keeps the designer's intentions" better than most, but puts a 12" shield in front of you. Overall, probably the best solution I've found.

2) Clearview... I have a 9.5" Clearview recurve. Below ~45MPH, that thing has no equal. Above 55 or so, it's like having your head in a paint mixer (just like pretty much everything else under 12").

3) With a VERY (*VERY*) rudimentary knowledge of hydro/aerodynamics, I made my own shields out of Fastaire 9" blanks and a heat gun. With one, I lit a cigarette at 35MPH with a Bic and built up an ash at 70. A guy asked me "Is that one of those (Klockwerks) "Flare" things?" -- I had no idea what he was talking about, but after doing a little searching, I found them. It did look very similar. But after trying one (6.5"), mine worked much better. The big problem is that the thing was very "rough" (I shaped it by hand - With a heat gun and oven mitts) and it was about the ugliest thing you'd have ever seen. THAT SAID: I wrote Klockwerks about it (as I found they had a patent on the design and didn't want to step on any toes) to see if they'd be interested in making a taller shield. No responses after several attempts last year.

This year, they came out with a 10.5" Flare. I figured that would be too tall (which is why I went with the 9" in the first place - I'm 6', BTW). From what I'm hearing through the grapevine, people aren't liking it much - Too flexible and causes too large a vacuum on the rider side.

If they'd split the difference and make a 8.5-9.5" shield and put the curve only in the top 50% of the mass, I think they'd have a winner...

All THAT said: I'd imagine that if you're looking for a tall, CLEAR shield, a 12" Clearview recurve would probably be the ultimate.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
hotshot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Clark's, 10" Half Moon, would never go back to stock.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hotshot
I have the Clark's, 10" Half Moon, would never go back to stock.
Again, this company makes a very good product for the price they charge!
No, I'm not associated with them, just a happy customer.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so does the fork baffle really work? Anyone got a part number on a black one and a pic of it installed?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike5959
so does the fork baffle really work? Anyone got a part number on a black one and a pic of it installed?
No pic but black baffle is pn 58520-79B and runs ~$12.50. Chrome one is pn 58520-79TC and ~$25.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike5959
The fork air baffle is standard on Road Glides. They work really well as I get no air from between my faring and my forks. I have no problems with heat because of it and leave it on all the time.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The HD fork baffle is cheap enough and actually looks good on the bike but I really can't tell much, if any, difference in air flow on my RK Custom. I leave it on year round.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
The HD fork baffle is cheap enough and actually looks good on the bike but I really can't tell much, if any, difference in air flow on my RK Custom. I leave it on year round.
You are kidding right? You don't have a fairing or windshield on your bike in the picture.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

In order of the most effective ways to decrease wind turbulence:

1-Lower Fairings. The ride with them on and off is night and day. MOST of the wind that is bothering you is blocked. I personally think they look great on SG's.
2-6" or taller windshield. A lot is what you get used to. Anything 7" or higher will help, with and depending on your height, 9" is a good compromise for style points and comfort. The Cee Baileys SSC 12" will almost eliminate buffetting, and the 13" just about does eliminate it. I'm used to my 6" or 6.5 Clearview w/recurve for just about any distance or condition.
3-Fairing wings. I like the HD ones. They are adjustable and fit perfectly. Higher quality than the Freedom Wings etc.
4-The upside down ash tray between the forks that is standard on Road Glides.

Lower fairings are however, far and away, the best way to improve the turbulence.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

How about the little 'wings' that attach to both lower sides of the fairing??

Quick Reply: Where is all the turbulence coming from?