Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is all the turbulence coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
DMcBiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ordered a 10" Fast Aire windshield, hoping that will help, I currently have an 8" with re-curve. I also have the center Fork baffle as well as the fairing wings. These help, but I still have the buffeting. A taller shield is my hope for a cure.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock windshield on the Standards, Classic's or Ultra's is 12" and it does make a big difference from and 8". I am 6"2" and currently run a tinted 9.5" shield with recurve fro clearview and have also run a 9.5" tinted shield from HD and both worked well for me. I tried the 10.5" recurve from clearview and the top was right in my line of sight but it worked a little better for my passenger. I also added the above piece to the lower triple trees and also the black smoked vents on the lower batwing fairing that come on the ultra and that all seemed to help. The biggents difference I feel will be the windshield. Good Luck

Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

I am 6'1" also and the 9" shield works pretty good but i agree with others that most of the highway turbulence comes from under the fairing....there is a wind deflector that can go etween the forks and also the fork tube lowers too...that is my next 2 upgrades.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
12" is stock.

I'm 6'2" here, I have gone to a Clark's Custom Windshields, 14" Clear Flat Top Clear for long road trips with the wife. It does reduce a lot of wind turbulence for her. I will probably use it by myself on long hauls as well. The fit and finish is very good.

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net...indshield2.htm
For the money, you just can't beat a Clarks custom shield. I use the 11" half moon light tint.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I agree about the pegs, your knees scoop up a lot of air.

Beary

Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The real answer:

pre 2001 or 03 harley had an air dam on the back of the fork brace. Bolt holes can
still be seen. I have one for my 2000, I use it in the winter. harley found it did not
let enough air flow over the top of the front cylinder. They do now offer it as an add on.
Next time your riding just place your hand in front of the gas tank dash between the
dash and fork. your turbulence will be completely gone.
Glen.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
For the money, you just can't beat a Clarks custom shield. I use the 11" half moon light tint.
Ditto on the price, I forgot to add that to my post. They make a large variety of windshields.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

12" is the stock current electraglide windshield height. for my streetglide, the 4" looks cool on the showroom floor, but useless, although it occupies shelf space in my shop quite well. i'm 6'4" tall, and find that the one just shorter than the stock electraglide works perfect for me. makes the windstream hit at just the top of my helmet. it's a nine inch harley. and i'm able to look over it rather than viewing through it while riding. just right.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My .02 is that whatever shield you have, it should be at about nose high so you are looking just over the top of it. I'm 6'1 and the HD Light Smoke 9 1/2 works perfectly and channels the airflow right up and over the top of my helmet. Theres still always going to be some buffeting, mostly due to the decreased air pressure behind the shield and fairing.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, thanks guys! I posted this at work hoping to see as reply or two when I got home, but not 19. I dont have highway pegs yet but plan on getting them this week. I'll try some if not all the tips here to cut back on some of the wind. I think the first thing I'll do is get a taller windshield. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Where is all the turbulence coming from?