Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Vibration Diagnosed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 02:33 PM
ddwyer
|
Tourer
Default Fairing Vibration Diagnosed

I was getting some weird noises from the left side of my fairing on my Street Glide at various RPMs. I took the outer fairing off this weekend, and discovered that the mounting bracket on the left side of the fairing was cracked at the mounting point. In addition the support bracket going to the speaker was cracked as well.

I dropped her off today for the repair. Luckily, I'm still under warranty.

Old 05-31-2009 | 06:13 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

Ton's of posts on here about the same thing. Seems to be a problem area.

Aaron

Old 05-31-2009 | 10:53 PM
billyp326
Cruiser

Had the same thing happen... Get ready to fix the other side to. When I checked mine I discovered they were both busted

Old 05-31-2009 | 11:34 PM
spanky73
Intermediate

Its a problem for everyone I know with these bikes. The replacements are a little thicker than stock. I think Harley know there is a problem but instead of a recall they just fix under warrenty.

Old 06-01-2009 | 02:12 AM
Bobberino
Road Master

WHOA!!! For about a month or so, I noticed my fairing tended to shake a lil more than usual, I finally took it apart to take my lower outer fairing and front turn signals off to take them to powdercoat and found out why the faiting shook.

Old 06-01-2009 | 09:58 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

The '07 and '08 TC96's idle rougher than earlier TC's, and owning an '07 makes me not surprised the brackets are breaking. I've had one right-side horizontal and one left-side vertical break. The small horizontal brackets are flimsey, cheap (<$10), and it's not easy to fabricate a more sturdy replacement. The '09 bikes vibrate less and maybe this will make their brackets last longer.

OTOH the verticals can be beefed-up to a point where they may not break again, or at least will do so less-often. Rather than replace my broken vertical bracket I just fixed it using a piece of heavier metal at the point where they break, beefed-up the unbroken right-side vertical, and replaced the horizontal with another stocker. I did a write-up with photos here. So far in seven months the fixed and beefed-up vertical brackets are still holding.

Someone from Harley Tech Talk is making a sturdier steel horizontal bracket for $55 (incl. shipping) per pair. His email address is here although I think he makes up a few at a time and doesn't keep an inventory. I thought about buying these but decided against it based on cost, as replacing the horizontals isn't difficult and they don't break that often.