Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was thinking about a BMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my spin.

I LOVE motorcycles. ALL motorcycles. I own an Ultra, three Japanese KZ1000 police bikes, and had a BMW RT years ago. All fine machines in their own right. The KZs are indestructible with lots of usable power. The BMW is expensive to maintain but a fine bike none the less. The Harley is VERY comfortable and a head turner.

During my time instructing Ride Like A Pro West Coast, I have come across ALL kinds of riders. Hog Groups, Goldwingers, BMW groups, Triumph and sportbikes. Each "Clique" has their "quirks". Some sterotypes fit, some do not. I do not wish to insult riders or exacerbate sterotypes, but merely report on my findings and observations.

By and large the BMW riders are fullface, Aerostitch, every gizmo and damn tool in the box kind of folks. The bikes are usually stock with few or no performance modifications. They prefer heated clothing over the larger throttle body. A Harley rider is happy with his iPod. BMW riders have their GPS and MP3 connected to their helmet along with the cell phone via bluetooth and they know how to use it too. Their riding outfit doubles as raingear and has vents and zippers so it can be worn in summer, winter, spring, rain, the desert, the jungle, Florida, Alaska and the Kalahari desert. Harley riders have leathers and a rain suit to throw over it. BMW riders have summer gloves, winter gloves, heated gloves, and heated grips. Harley riders have two kinds of gloves, full finger and fingerless, if the even wear gloves at all. Goldwing riders have one pair of gloves and a set of water proof "overmitts" for them. Harley riders are usually half or 3/4 helmet riders, (although some do wear full face or a beanie) and wear black leathers. The bikes are usually LOUD. Moreover most have had some kind of performance modification with more planned. They are a "lively" bunch but are very open to suggestion and even constructive criticisim. The Goldwingers are mostly fullface or 3/4, and ALL of them have their helmets wired into the CB/GPS/iPod/intercom system. Each of their helmets have some kind of coiled cord dangling off it, whereas the Ultra riders tell me they hardly ever use the CB radio and forgot how to operate it. Goldwing riders have a smattering of leather or synthetic clothing in a wide array of colors. Harley riders wear black. A lot of Goldwing riders have some kind of silk jacket with embroidery on the back. Harley riders will wear either a denim or a leather vest. BMW riders wear orange reflecting vests. Gold wing riders will wear a denim vest with a gazillion pins on it. A lot of times you will find a Goldwing rider wearing a Harley jacket or chaps left over from their previous bike and lifestyle, but you will NEVER find a BMW or Harley owner wearing a Goldwing jacket. Goldwing riders are the MOST attentive when taking the course trying to ABSORB as much of it as they can. Like the BMW riders, they want to improve their skills, but UNLIKE the BMW riders they do not try to acheive perfection and then beat themselves up when they cannot. The Harley riders will do as instructed but quickly discern what skills they need and discard the rest to focus on what they deem important. Some of the BMW riders are really "set in their ways" and don't take too well to my corrective measures and suggestions during the course of instruction.

Harley riders seek out the BEST places to eat, dine slowly and relish the meals. BMW riders stop only to nourish themselves so they can get back on the road. Goldwing riders seek out the food places the Harley riders find.

ALL are friendly, especially amongst themselves. They will openly welcome riders of other makes to join them, but rib them behind their back and under their breath in a sibling rivalry manner.

This is what I have found.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Twistabister
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could have kept my 07 R1200GS.. I sold it for my Street Glide.. The GS is an awesome bike, the suspension ate up every bump in the road and was the most comfortable, ergonomically perfect bike Ive ever owned.. I have been riding for 20 years and only had Harleys, I had the BMW for a year and decided to sell it because it was to sterile and had no soul, it just wasn't me.. I still wore my normal rode wear, non-dot helmet with all the stickers, jeans, t-shirt.. The BMW crowd looked at me like i was nuts because i wasn't wearing hi-viz aerostitch clothes, high boots and a full face helmet. It was fun while it lasted but I'm glad I got the street glide, its exactly what i wanted. (minus the harsh ride, and the insane wind buffetting)

Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Frnk4tr
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great comments, guys! I rode my R1200GSA to the Harley dealership in San Francisco yesterday to check out their selection - it was a cold and cloudy day, so mostly only Harley and BMW riders on the road. I am fortunate in that I can keep my BMW (which I plan to do) so will straddle both sides of the fence and ride both. I still like the looks of the Road King the best, but love the idea of having a stereo on board. But I guess the simple solution is to have an Ipod with helmet speakers.

I still haven't taken a test ride, but will soon. They did offer me one at the SF dealership yesterday but I didn't want to take a test ride in the city. When I do it will be out on country roads near my home north of the city.

Thanks for all the feedback - greatly appreciated!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 AM
CherryHog
Road Master
Location: west of the west side of Indy, many miles from nowhere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have my '82 Beemer - R100RS. It' hasn't been too pricey to maintain (I do my own work), and now has 55K miles on it. But it sure doesn't sound as good as my HD :-)