Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was thinking about a BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
That must be why there are no american vehicles in the top 5 for reliability and owner loyalty. Grow up!

Owned 4 BMWs my self and I can assure you they are very reliable. Many of the BMW guys are of the what can go wrong, will go wrong camp and as previously mentioned, carry everything they can. I used to my self. Now I just carry an extra quart of oil (something I never darried with the BMW) and a cell phone. THe reliability of the scoots I'm riding didn't change, just my way of thinking.
I've never owned a Jap car but "overpriced junk" is hardly a description that would fit, and my next car will likely be a Honda. My present car is a 14-year-old Saab and it has been very reliable, but I fear they will be pulled from the U.S. market and then what happens to parts availability?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
PITA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still have my last BMW, 6 years old now and never a problem. The standard tool kit it came with puts any Harley tool kit to shame.

Many BMW owners I've known put serious miles often well off the interstates as I do. I do fireroads regularly with mine and its superior suspension allows it to go places Harleys owners can only dream of.

This is likely the reason so many BMW owners are serious about their tool kits - GS owners in particular.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:21 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never owned a BMW bike but have had 4 BMW cars from new (5 Series) and really liked them all except the last one which felt cheap, had 3 recalls in the first year and had so many other things going wrong I got rid -I think BMW have been paring down the quality over the last few years and it's catching up with them. So complicated that I'd need NASA and an operating theatre to fix it.

I have 2 Harleys and they've given totally reliable service and I think the relative simplicity - less to go wrong - helps.

Just my experience.

PS - Years ago here in the UK BMW bike riders were so up themselves that they never waved or nodded at non-BMW's so we all used to give the **** salute to them

Old 05-31-2009, 01:11 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
Still have my last BMW, 6 years old now and never a problem. The standard tool kit it came with puts any Harley tool kit to shame.

Many BMW owners I've known put serious miles often well off the interstates as I do. I do fireroads regularly with mine and its superior suspension allows it to go places Harleys owners can only dream of.

This is likely the reason so many BMW owners are serious about their tool kits - GS owners in particular.
Good grief man...your comparing a bike made to do off road with a cruiser?

Old 05-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Frnk4tr
Stage II
Smile

Hi - first post and a BMW guy here (the title caught my attention because I currently own a BMW and am very interested in the new Road King).

I currently own a 2007 R1200 GS Adventure - awesome bike, never a problem, handles incredibly well and goes anywhere. Simply destroys bad roads, which is about all we have in Northern California (I'd say our roads are probably on par with third world country roads, at best).

I wave to everyone, am not a bike snob. Been riding since 1975 (first bike was a brand new 1974 Honda CB750 which I rode from Columbus, Ohio to Acapulco and back on a whim). Have recently owned a Honda Blackbird, Honda ST1300, Suzuki GSX-R1000 and BMW K1200S.

I have always loved the look of Harleys and am now seriously getting interested in a purchase. I'm over the sportbike thing because I got too many speeding tickets and I don't need to go 100 mph every time I get on a bike anymore.

I have never ridden a Harley, so need to go take a test drive. I really like the looks of the 2009 Road King standard. How is the power of the standard bike? My BMW R1200 GSA has 100 hp and that is plenty, but of course the bike weights significantly less than a RK (about 550 lbs.). I don't need to go 100+ but do like to have decent acceleration up to 85 mph or so in passing situations. Does the new RK deliver that kind of performance?

I stopped just to look at bikes yesterday and the dealer told me that for $1,200 I could upgrade the standard to a 103 ci engine. Has anyone tried that?

If I go with the RK I will still keep my BMW for the more spirited rides, so am not looking to replace the bike, just adding to the stable.

Sorry for all the questions, but I figured I might as well go right to the expert source!

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-31-2009, 02:41 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

Now that's funny -Aerostitch

Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't know about the bikes but my brother bought his wife a 2003 BMW 525i wagon that was always in the shop. He got sick of it after about a year and traded for a Volvo wagon.

I carry quite a bit of tools in a tool bag ( better safe than sorry) but on the road I've only used the flat tire kit and an allen wrench once to tighten a loose highway peg bolt.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:08 PM
gunut
Cruiser

All I can say is each his own . I was interested in a fjr1300 till I drove one for an hour

Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer

I haven't had a BMW bike, but I had a 5 series car and I was all fired up after reading the original post, "Yeah! Yeah he's got that right!" as every time I wanted to do any kind of service for the car, it was a minimum of $1K it seemed. Then I got quiet knowing how much I spend on the HD.....Love the HD though!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frnk4tr
Hi - first post and a BMW guy here (the title caught my attention because I currently own a BMW and am very interested in the new Road King).

I currently own a 2007 R1200 GS Adventure - awesome bike, never a problem, handles incredibly well and goes anywhere. Simply destroys bad roads, which is about all we have in Northern California (I'd say our roads are probably on par with third world country roads, at best).

I wave to everyone, am not a bike snob. Been riding since 1975 (first bike was a brand new 1974 Honda CB750 which I rode from Columbus, Ohio to Acapulco and back on a whim). Have recently owned a Honda Blackbird, Honda ST1300, Suzuki GSX-R1000 and BMW K1200S.

I have always loved the look of Harleys and am now seriously getting interested in a purchase. I'm over the sportbike thing because I got too many speeding tickets and I don't need to go 100 mph every time I get on a bike anymore.

I have never ridden a Harley, so need to go take a test drive. I really like the looks of the 2009 Road King standard. How is the power of the standard bike? My BMW R1200 GSA has 100 hp and that is plenty, but of course the bike weights significantly less than a RK (about 550 lbs.). I don't need to go 100+ but do like to have decent acceleration up to 85 mph or so in passing situations. Does the new RK deliver that kind of performance?

I stopped just to look at bikes yesterday and the dealer told me that for $1,200 I could upgrade the standard to a 103 ci engine. Has anyone tried that?

If I go with the RK I will still keep my BMW for the more spirited rides, so am not looking to replace the bike, just adding to the stable.

Sorry for all the questions, but I figured I might as well go right to the expert source!

Thanks,

Andy
I started this post last night because I was amazed at the tool kits being carried by guys who are always telling me how trouble free their bikes are. If I had to carry that many tools I’d stick with four wheels.

The stock engine accelerates well enough to handle turnpike traffic. Save your money for something more useful like chrome.

If you are looking for a cruiser go test ride a Harley, it’s the only way you will know for sure. Look at the Glides, the radio is nice to have.

Quick Reply: I was thinking about a BMW