Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was thinking about a BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jager
And I know riders who don't carry squat, not even what they need to fix a flat tire. Those are the pussies...
Yup, zero respect for someone who doesn't even carry a puncture repair kit.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Upswept
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My beef with the BMW crowd is from experience. I used to hang with a club in another state. The guys start by being enthusiastic about BMW bikes, then they add BMW cars, then German cars, then anything German, then anything European, then they dislike Harleys, then dislike anything American, then dislike the American life in favor of paradise in Europe. I used to ask them why they just didn't move overseas, but they liked the American dollar and the American way of life. Of course, they denied everything I told them.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkoetting
Just left the BMW camp, last two bikes were boxer twin BMW models. BMW guys are as odd, or odder, than Harley guys. They (we) pack around every possible thing, on the chance it may be needed. I never had any reliablilty issues with my BMW, but I still carried a tool roll that was incrediable. I have stopped and plugged two Harley tires with my kit though! As far as junk, etc., that is wrong. BMW is simply Europe's Harley. Terrific bikes, and I enjoyed the heck out of them, but now I am doing something different. But I do have to find some cooler riding gear, I look like I stepped out of an Aerostich catalog....
I agree - BMW makes a terrific product and as far as expensive to own/repair- who are we kidding?

I'll take my Aerostich jacket over my HD leathers 9 times out of 10. It's also made in the USA! I wouldn't get to hung up on riding gear... use what is comfortble and affords protection.
I

Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

The newer BMW's are less "user friendly" to work on than the older ones. The took kit consists of a screw driver and a Torx wrench. So you have to put together your own tool kit, same as with Harley. Some riders may go a little overboard. Earlier BMW's, like my 93 R100R, come with a great tool kit.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What good are a lot of tools if you don't have the parts to fix the problem?

I carry tools that I expect to use, for example:

I have had flat tires. I carry a plug kit and a pump.

I can't remember the last time that a plug fouled. I don't carry spare spark plugs or a spark plug socket.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 AM
nskitts
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boogiewithtuck
I agree - BMW makes a terrific product and as far as expensive to own/repair- who are we kidding?

I'll take my Aerostich jacket over my HD leathers 9 times out of 10. It's also made in the USA! I wouldn't get to hung up on riding gear... use what is comfortble and affords protection.
I
Aerostich just came out with a leather jacket and pants, one of if not the only leathers that are completely waterproof and that breathe using GoreTex technology...very expensive but very worth it...made in the USA.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 AM
ELGOLD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
Another foreign line that has the American public duped. Just like their cars. Overpriced foreign junk!! Very expensive to maintain. Like japanese cars and bikes.

And . . . they are Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You likely would not say that if you won the lottery.
Can't honestly believe that - can you?
BMW makes excellent products across all their lines (bikes and cars), same with most of import and asian brands. I have and currently own BMW and Mercedes cars and even though American cars have moved up a few notches, they can't touch these brands. Also typically customer service is excellent and at a much higher level than a domestic dealer. Not fair to trash these brands that you obvously haven't experienced.
Don't see BMW and Mercedes looking for handouts from the government, do you. Why do you think that is.
I'm reading in your message that "overpriced foreign junk" means "you wish you could afford them".

Last edited by ELGOLD; 05-31-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 AM
dailydriver
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jager
I own both Harley and BMW bikes. They are both exceptional machines. There's a reason both have been in business for as long as they have.

And if someone carries a bunch of tools it's pretty meaningless - I know riders of both marques who do that. And I know riders who don't carry squat, not even what they need to fix a flat tire. Those are the pussies...
Guess I'm one of those pussies your talking about...I never needed a tire repair kit and with well over 100k miles combined on my last 4 bikes in 6 years I guess I'm not doing to bad here...I have had 1 flat in the last 5 years and I picked up my cell phone made 2 calls and had a ride to work and a new tire that afternoon after work...I don't know maybe my bike is rode too much to get dry-rot on the tires from sitting in the garage all week waiting for Sunday rides...

Old 05-31-2009, 10:59 AM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELGOLD
BMW makes excellent products across all their lines (bikes and cars)

Not in my experience. I have owned both a BMW 325is AND a BMW K1200LT. Both were vehicles from Hell - worst car and worst bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of both, most of which I bought new, not somebody's worn out junkers.

The car was very expensive for just the routine service BMW called for. There were electrical issues the dealership was never able to rectify. When we finally traded that thing off, we had oil stains all over the garage floor from a leaking rear seal on the engine.

The bike was a nightmare in every respect. The right side handlebar switch cluster failed under warranty and a replacement had to be flown in from Germany - there were none in the US. Routine maintenance was overpriced like the car, and more of it was required than with other bikes I've owned. K1200LTs are notorious for eating their final drives and also for leaking clutch slave cylinders, which then contaminate the dry clutch with fluid, taking it out.

K1200LTs are also so top-heavy that owners joke on the BMW forums about rolling them over at very slow speed repeatedly. I'm no beginning rider, having ridden over 50 years, but that happened to me twice in the six months I owned the bike. That was all I could stand; I took the damned thing back to the dealer for him to sell on consignment, which he did. Made money on me going and coming, but I can say I was never so glad to be rid of such a nuisance.

Not fair to trash these brands that you obvously haven't experienced....
I'm reading in your message that "overpriced foreign junk" means "you wish you could afford them".

I don't know about him, but I could afford them, and I did experience them. I'm glad that's over and past - never again. I totally agree that the entire "German engineering" thing is nothing but hype when it comes to the BMW marque.

Last edited by racklefratz; 05-31-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:42 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Perhaps their philosophy is 'better to have a tool and not need it, then to need a tool and not have it'.
My philosophy is that if you need a specific tool you won't have it. Also, if you have a tool you won't need it, so carry lots of tools.

Quick Reply: I was thinking about a BMW