Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was thinking about a BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:31 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Perhaps their philosophy is 'better to have a tool and not need it, then to need a tool and not have it'.

Ron
I think that pretty much sums it up. They collect tools the way Harley riders collect chrome. I've had several BMWs and for the most part they were trouble free.

Replacing the dry clutch is an pain, but you don't need to split the engine cases. It's pretty much like a car unit so you just take off the back of the bike!

Last edited by Twinrider; 05-31-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:38 AM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, More the I ever carried on any of My Harley thru the years.

Just remember if you do break down on the road you can always try to flag
down a BMW he'll have tools and most likely an expresso machine too.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:06 AM
crock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned with British cars that if you have to carry more than basic tools, you didn't do the job right before you left home. The BMW guys who carry lots of tools are still learning how to be mechanics. That's okay, the air cooled bikes tended to attract the VW-Porsche crowd after the cars started to get too complicated for the home mechanic. IMHO , even the early Beetles were too complicated for most home mechanics, witness all the ones that were parked on the side of an LA freeway in the 70's. The competent home mechanics became professional mechanics between gigs as aerospace engineers. Harleys are so common that if you have a problem that requires tools, some local biker will go home and loan you the set for a roadside repair. Likely that he wants to learn how to do the repair himself while he helps you out. And you DO treat the gentleman to a roadside beer after the repair don't you? If you see an old blue 72 Sporty by the side of the road, well that would be me looking for a 3/4 inch 1/2 drive socket....I forgot to tighten the axle after I changed the tire. I am a good mechanic fighting Alzheimer's....

Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those guys carry quite a kit (and with such limited storage). Really kinda funny. Maybe because BMW dealers are so few and far between. Break down with a Harley in the US and you can throw a rock to the nearest dealer in most places.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Volfan615
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rkoetting
Just left the BMW camp, last two bikes were boxer twin BMW models. BMW guys are as odd, or odder, than Harley guys. They (we) pack around every possible thing, on the chance it may be needed. I never had any reliablilty issues with my BMW, but I still carried a tool roll that was incrediable. I have stopped and plugged two Harley tires with my kit though! As far as junk, etc., that is wrong. BMW is simply Europe's Harley. Terrific bikes, and I enjoyed the heck out of them, but now I am doing something different. But I do have to find some cooler riding gear, I look like I stepped out of an Aerostich catalog....
+ 1 I just sold a R1200RT. I had planned on keeping both bikes but the wife finally talked me down to one. It's funny hearing you talk about the riding gear. The BMW group is definitely ATGATT. You should have seen me picking up my SG in my Olympia textile pants. Neon Yellow Olympia Jacket and full face helmet. I'm sure all the guys hanging out at the dealership in their chaps and a good time with that.

Seriously though the BMW is a great bike and I never had one issue other than picking up a nail in a rear tire and I was ready for that with my repair kit.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

Don't know about the bikes, but Consumer Reports give the BMW cars a VERY bad rating on reliability, even recommend that you do not buy. Course mostly rich folks buy em and can afford it.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:34 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Volfan615
+ 1 I just sold a R1200RT.

How's the RT compared to your SG in terms of handling, power and comfort?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another foreign line that has the American public duped. Just like their cars. Overpriced foreign junk!! Very expensive to maintain. Like japanese cars and bikes.
That must be why there are no american vehicles in the top 5 for reliability and owner loyalty. Grow up!

Owned 4 BMWs my self and I can assure you they are very reliable. Many of the BMW guys are of the what can go wrong, will go wrong camp and as previously mentioned, carry everything they can. I used to my self. Now I just carry an extra quart of oil (something I never darried with the BMW) and a cell phone. THe reliability of the scoots I'm riding didn't change, just my way of thinking.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had three BMWs and they are very good machines.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Jager
Cruiser

I own both Harley and BMW bikes. They are both exceptional machines. There's a reason both have been in business for as long as they have.

And if someone carries a bunch of tools it's pretty meaningless - I know riders of both marques who do that. And I know riders who don't carry squat, not even what they need to fix a flat tire. Those are the pussies...

Last edited by Jager; 05-31-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: I was thinking about a BMW