Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who have done engine work on the tc88--look inside please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
onthelo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you who have done engine work on the tc88--look inside please!

Just curious what you guys would recomend. Heres what I have obv. the stock twin cam 88 with cam gears it has 75k miles on it still runs like a top, but I want to build a new motor so I can install in the winter. I am lacking so much power I have even been on stock twin 88's with low mileage exhaust upgrade/power commander/tune still weak... What is the easiest/less expensive way to get that extra power I need. Keep in mind I have that darn 5 speed too Im always grabbing for a 6th gear.. should Im I just do the upper end 95inch kit? build a 110..??? we are going to do all the install ourselves but have my buddy do the machine work.. what do you guys think...??? Maybe I can do the 95 inch kit and install a 6 speed?? Anyone dong this conversion... Thanks so much Im burning the midnight oil to figure out what to do thats the last part of my project to work on. Thanks again for all your ideas and comments

Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM
gascap13
Road Captain

You may want to have this conversation with "Bruce" at Horsepower Express in Campell, Bay Area, Ca.

http://www.horsepowerexpress.net/id5.html

Ask around to riders with time and his reputation will speak for itself. Even if you do not contact him directly, there are enough links in his website to answer many of your questions.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Hi, Tom from http://harleygoodies.com/ here. Talk to HeadQuarters. They have a lot of experience in building motors and from what I read are quite reliable. I alse suggest contacting PhilM here on the site. He is extremely knowledgable and can guid you in the right direction.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

The BIG question is how much $$$$$ do you want to spend, and are you going to keep the bike and "ride out" your investment? The $$$ IS the only limiting factor in how much power you can make, and a Baker 6 speed transmission beats anything HD offers. Having said that, take a ride on a 09 and see if you don't come to the same conclusion I did. The changes on the 09 make for a far superior ride! So much so, that I traded a perfectly good 07 for an 09. My advice would be to trade bikes and start from there. A stage 2 build on a NEW bike and under warranty has a bunch going for it!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:21 PM
bdaug50
Cruiser

In regards to the 6 speed, a buddy of mine who is a Harley tech says that in his experience the Baker 6 speed gear set is the only real "bolt in" gear set and the others take either machining or clearancing to make them work. I have a HQ 95" and it fing rocks. I just wish I had the bucks for a Baker now.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Cubic inches = HP = $$$$ equation is not hard to figure out!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Rock4gzus
Cruiser

onthelo,

Like you, I was looking to combine reasonable costs and maintain/improve reliability. This past winter, I decided to go with the Joe Minton recommended engine build and am thoroughly pleased with the increase in performance. My 2001 Roadking with 3.37 gearing now has a Max Power of 78.75 and a Max Torque of 99.10.

I started by having Andrews 21g cams installed in January. Based on the results, I was eager to get the 95" top end work done. The increase in take off and roll on power is huge and the motor keeps pulling strong well past 4000 RPM. You can read about a lot of more powerful engine builds on this forum but the Joe Minton prescription makes my bike perform in a very practical way that I think the Twin Cam originally should have - without EPA restrictions.

I encourage to see what Minton has to say.

Rock

Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Ya have to consider reliability of the motor. If your just doing bar hopping, go for the 124" with a big cam. Ask about warranty. Maybe a 103 stroker with head work and a good cam will do just fine for touring. Decide what you're using the bike for before ya go for the build.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

have you considered perhaps trading your bike in for a newer one? you'd end up with the stroker motor, the six speed, and the throttle by wire, and a few other things. might be similar to trying to upgrade what you've already got. just a thought. sorta like putting a 500 dollar saddle on a 400 dollar horse sometimes. you got a great looking bike though, and trading in might be an option.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:12 AM
onthelo
Road Master

Yeah wow lots to think about and research. I might be able to trade it in but I got some really good offers after I posted it locally for sale probably much more than the dealer would give me seeing the mileage I have. The thing I like about mine is its one of kind the way i wanted it to look and it dosen't look like everyone elses and its paid for. But I do like the 09's and the fact that it can roll a 200 rear tire and already comes with the 6 speed many pros.. realistically I just use this bike for bike nights weekend rallys and local bar hoppin so the bigger the better i guess Im not going to travel all round the states most far ride id prolly do is like 4 hours each way 8 hours round trip and of course I want to have more power than my buddies...=) Im going to look into all the options some of these sound good..what do you guys think dealer trade in may be??

Quick Reply: For those of you who have done engine work on the tc88--look inside please!