Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing oil temp gauge in FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM
tslonige
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rodger McEwan oil temp guage fits the batwing and the color matches the other guages. I put the one FLTSE 2002 - Present in my 06 StreetGlide and it comes with all the wires and fittings. Works great in place of the air guage.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:51 PM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for great info. Particularly to SOOS for the photos of the oil pan. The quote with those photos is cause for more concern however.

Is the "upward flow channel" (where you guys are placing your temp probes) the source for oil flow from the pan to the engine? If so, is it a good idea to partially block the small channel with a temperature probe?

My probe is 1/4" diameter by 2" long and therefore extends about one and a half inches into the pan. I am using an automotive oil temp gauge so the probe is mechanical (hence long), not electro-mechanical.

So I am hesitant to place a two inch probe into a small (1/2"?) diameter oil channel - especially if this channel supplies oil flow up to the engine (or oil pump).

Any thoughts on this?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
To which I believe iclick means the "correct" hole.
Yes, bad word choice. I just edited the message and changed it.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by UALCapt

So I am hesitant to place a two inch probe into a small (1/2"?) diameter oil channel - especially if this channel supplies oil flow up to the engine (or oil pump).
I didn't know there was such a channel integral to the plug we're discussing here, and would imagine you wouldn't want much protruding inside this channel since there doesn't appear to be much room. The HD or McEwan senders installed there using an adapter would pose no problem since the adapter should protrude little or none into this channel. If this channel is the outlet from the pan it would be going to the oil pump.

Last edited by iclick; 05-30-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:19 PM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. After looking closely at the Mcewen probe, I see it is very shallow and should pose no impediment to oil flow. Mine, however, would likely impede flow - bad idea! I'll stick with using the oil drain for my application.

Thanks everyone for all the good info!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLuHX
Whoa, do they sell just the sending unit and the wire. Anybody got the instruction sheet and part number so I can go to the dealer to get this done. I got the oil cooler and the oil temp guage so all I need is the Moco updated parts.

Is it this 75324-05A oil temp guage or 26133-07A oil cooler kit?
Soos' part numbers jibe with those from my kit purchased in late 2006 (#75324-05). I just checked the H-D site and they show 75324-05A, which is the silver-faced gauge, so I assume this part number has the adapter included. That's what I'm hearing on other threads. To my surprise the kit doesn't cost any more than I paid 2½ years ago and I would've bet by adding the adapter HD would've felt justified increasing the price.

What I did was fabricate a small harness (see photo) that connects the gauge (POS and GND) to the existing ATG connector. The sender has a proprietary connector (IIRC), so you'd probably need the harness (70285-04). The only wire that needs to go from the sender to the gauge is the one going to the SIG connector on the gauge. You can ground the sender anywhere convenient, and I used an existing frame-mounted nut located in the cubby hole forward of the battery under the seat ('07), but any good ground (preferably to the frame) will do. That's it, from the sender ground to any ground, sender signal to SIG, 12V to POS, and ground to GND on the gauge.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Rumor has it that the adapter is now being included in the HD kit with the new part number superseded with an "A" on the end. Apparently HD now admits that the previously prescribed method is flawed and installing the sender in the pan is the best option.
The rumor is correct. The kit comes with everything you need so no trips to NAPA. The wire harness zip ties neatly down the right frame tube and follows the the rear brake line back toward the oil pan.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by atrain68
The rumor is correct. The kit comes with everything you need so no trips to NAPA. The wire harness zip ties neatly down the right frame tube and follows the the rear brake line back toward the oil pan.
Mmm, okay, but I don't want to see the wire on the right downtube. If I put it there it might as well be a neon light advertising its presence, as I'd see it every time I looked at the bike. I know, very ****. I ran mine under the tank, a slight hassle but a 15-minute job worth it for the cosmetic value, IMO.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I am thinking running mine under the tank also

Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hid mine behind the clutch cable.

Quick Reply: Installing oil temp gauge in FLHTC