Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing oil temp gauge in FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UALCapt
Just installed one myself. Question though ... I was going to use the (inner) oil pan plug as illustrated in the photos above, but my dealer service manager said not to because that plug leads to an oil pan chamber that "has no oil in it". So I used an adapter to fit the probe into the oil drain plug (outer) hole. Obviously, when I drain oil, I have to remove the probe to do it. I have a feeling I got some bad info! I assume the inner plug works fine for all of you? Thanks.
Yep, that was bad info. If that plug leads to an empty chamber why did oil flow out when I removed it? It's amazing some of the things coming from the mouths of some dealer service techs and writers, and this is yet another boner to add to the list. Disclaimer: This elite group of ninnies is a minority among HD techs, IMO, so I'm not criticizing all of them.

It would be simple to relocate the sender to the correct hole.

Last edited by iclick; 05-30-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:20 AM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed one myself. Question though ... I was going to use the (inner) oil pan plug as illustrated in the photos above, but my dealer service manager said not to because that plug leads to an oil pan chamber that "has no oil in it". So I used an adapter to fit the probe into the oil drain plug (outer) hole. Obviously, when I drain oil, I have to remove the probe to do it. I have a feeling I got some bad info! I assume the inner plug works fine for all of you? Thanks.
So which hole should be used for the oil temp application??......Right or Left??

Old 05-30-2009, 07:23 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by spence222
So which hole should be used for the oil temp application??......Right or Left??
The one that is pictured in this thread is correct.

Originally Posted by iclick
Yep, that was bad info. If that plug leads to an empty chamber why did oil flow out when I removed it? It's amazing some of the things coming from the mouths of some dealer service techs and writers, and this is yet another boner to add to the list. Disclaimer: This elite group of ninnies is a minority among HD techs, IMO, so I'm not criticizing all of them.

It would be simple to relocate the sender to the right hole.
To which I believe iclick means the "correct" hole.

Last edited by soos; 05-30-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 AM
kurtlange
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 AM
ranman469
Road Master

the HD gauge sender can be installed with telfon.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:19 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Please refer to pic "S". "Oil pickup occurs in the front compartment of the baffle where a passageway in the casting (S41) directs the flow upward".

Attached Thumbnails Installing oil temp gauge in FLHTC-05-30-2009-10-09-42am-2-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:45 AM
PWFD
Road Master

Originally Posted by harley0711
I see you are a Fire Fighter..

I am Retired (1973 - 2008 = 35 years)

Have you see Fireman Joes site and this for your bike... I have one and I feel like I have 343 Souls riding with me... actually it's 346 - they added three retired FF's who were working at the Towers when they came down...

That is great!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is another link that this was discussed in:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ding-unit.html

Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Rumor has it that the adapter is now being included in the HD kit with the new part number superseded with an "A" on the end. Apparently HD now admits that the previously prescribed method is flawed and installing the sender in the pan is the best option.

Whoa, do they sell just the sending unit and the wire. Anybody got the instruction sheet and part number so I can go to the dealer to get this done. I got the oil cooler and the oil temp guage so all I need is the Moco updated parts.

Is it this 75324-05A oil temp guage or 26133-07A oil cooler kit?

Last edited by Lu; 05-30-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLuHX
Whoa, do they sell just the sending unit and the wire. Anybody got the instruction sheet and part number so I can go to the dealer to get this done. I got the oil cooler and the oil temp guage so all I need is the Moco updated parts.
From kit #75265-04 installed on my '06, Sending Unit #72357-04. Wiring Harness #70285-04. I had to buy an adapter.

Quick Reply: Installing oil temp gauge in FLHTC