Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Cat question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fat Cat question

Are the standard Fat Cats louder or quieter than Rinehart true duals? Also, how does the ghost pipe set up look? I've never seen how the ghost pipe connects up and wondering if it looks good or not. Thinking about the Fat Cats but not sure I like the look with single muffler.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bump....

Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Milwaukee 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will let you know tomorrow about the sound. I just got mine in today and am gonna put it on in the morning, as for the ghost pipe I got no info on that.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:16 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Rineharts are louder. When accompanied by a cam and larger piston the rineharts in my opinion are really loud. The Fat Cat sounds good at an idle and barks pretty good when you get on it. Guys that ride with me say that my bike is loud when they are behind and my wife says her ears ring when we get done with a ride of 20 miles or more. she says the bike is loud but can still hear the radio.

THe Fat cat dummy pipe mounts like the stock one did it is just capped off about an inch and a half short of the active pipe on the 09.

The dummy pipe seals the deal and looks awesome IMHO

I will post picts of mine tomorrow if you like.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 AM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser

I put on a D&D Fat Cat last year with the quiet baffle. I also added a TMax at the same time. The added combination really woke my engine up. I knew it was running lean and I now have much better power where I need it.

The Fat Cat is louder than my Screaming Eagle slip-ons but not too obnoxious. If I had my choice I would get something quieter but I am happy with the system. I like the way it clears the area on the right side of the bike. The look of one pipe doesn't bother me in the least. I go for function over form and the Fat Cat functions very well. Also, the sound doesn't bother my wife at all.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

This IJMO but I'd stay with the Rineharts, I put the Fatcat on mine and took it back off, I gained hp but lost low end tq, weird but the truth on my ride anyways.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the ghost pipe , I prefer the dual look ,Have had mine for 2 yrs ,people behind me find it loud, but im never behind me so I dont know. I have standard baffle.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Milwaukee 1
I will let you know tomorrow about the sound. I just got mine in today and am gonna put it on in the morning, as for the ghost pipe I got no info on that.
For what it's worth, drive your bike up on a piece of 2", so the wheels are higher than where the end of the kickstand is. Maybe get a friend to spot the left side of the bike.
With this setup, you can remove the transmission end cover without loosing any oil.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up Fat Cat

I have had a Fat Cat for over a year now and I love it. I was VERY hesitant about whether I would like the look of a pipe only on one side but now it's no big deal. I have friends that have the ghost pipe system and it's it just as good. Personal preference. I also installed the Thunder Max Autotune when I put my pipe on and it was a noticable difference. You can get the muffler with either the quiet baffle or the louvered baffle which is a little louder but not obnoxious by any means. Since then, I did some pretty extensive motor improvements and switched to the Big Bore Baffle. Now that I must admit, is pretty loud, especially when getting on it but not crazy loud. Everyones definition of loud is different however. None the less, it is my opinion that D & D pipes (Fat Cats) are the best on the market. Just my opinion, but there R&D is second to none.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Milwaukee 1
Cruiser

Well I got the Fatcat on as you can tell from my new sig pic. Compared to the Rineharts it doesn't seem quite as loud, but it does sound great!!! I love the way it looks, sounds, and performs. The "growl" between gears sounds freakin awesome. As for the install it was a great fit and no problems.

Quick Reply: Fat Cat question