Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 ABS TEST - Proof ABS takes longer to stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgshoe
To "put this debate to bed" as you stated why don't you make a video with all the particulars and show how you can stop quicker with ABS. The only person on this forum who has offered any kind of evidence is the OP.
Below Copied from the OP's first post......He's getting what he asked for.

Anyone got any thoughts / comments?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne06
Originally Posted by kingkingking
You cant steer and brake at the same time on the bike, even with ABS. It doesn't work, the bike wants to stand up all the time. Watch the DVD (they tell you to stand the bike up and slam on the ABS, then turn when you have some speed off) and try it yourself.
Your fundamental misunderstanding of ABS and continued specious arguments defending your testing methodology, results, and conclusions regarding ABS is unbelievable. When you are wrong, admit it and move on. When you've hit rock bottom, stop digging. I'm embarrassed for you.
I've had my disagreements with kingkingking on the subject of ABS too, but if you're taking exception to his statement:
Originally Posted by kingkingking
You can't steer and brake at the same time on the bike, even with ABS.
and we're talking about "emergency braking" here, then you're the one who's wrong. Don't believed me? Do as kingkingking suggests and check out the DVD that Harley includes with their ABS equipped bikes. It specifically states that you "can not" maneuver during an ABS event. The bike will come seriously unglued and they even show a professional rider trying it. The bike had outriggers on it and he'd have been on his *** three or four times without them. The only way you can come anywhere near close to max effort braking is if the bike is upright, ABS or not!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
I've had my disagreements with kingkingking on the subject of ABS too, but if you're taking exception to his statement:

and we're talking about "emergency braking" here, then you're the one who's wrong. Don't believed me? Do as kingkingking suggests and check out the DVD that Harley includes with their ABS equipped bikes. It specifically states that you "can not" maneuver during an ABS event. The bike will come seriously unglued and they even show a professional rider trying it. The bike had outriggers on it and he'd have been on his *** three or four times without them. The only way you can come anywhere near close to max effort braking is if the bike is upright, ABS or not!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.
Nope...I was referencing his test, the results and conclusions, and his view of ABS based on his testing. I should have referenced the original posting. For that, I stand corrected! Thanks.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

absolutely correct...saw it experienced it....recently saw a classic scooter vrs car crash....car turned left in front of the scooter....scooter locked brakes....LONG SKID........where he hit that car (at the rear of it) if he would have been able to steer...even a little...he could have avoided it...

ABS kept me from plowing into a DUMB A%% who decided to just STOP in the middle of the road because they wernt sure if the intersection had a stop sign...was able to steer around her...

ill keep mine on....

Originally Posted by Fast FLHX
ABS will prevent people from locking up the rear in a panic stop which can be more dangerous than taking a little longer to stop.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by machpilot
absolutely correct...saw it experienced it....recently saw a classic scooter vrs car crash....car turned left in front of the scooter....scooter locked brakes....LONG SKID........where he hit that car (at the rear of it) if he would have been able to steer...even a little...he could have avoided it...

ABS kept me from plowing into a DUMB A%% who decided to just STOP in the middle of the road because they wernt sure if the intersection had a stop sign...was able to steer around her...

ill keep mine on....
Absolutely. I've had a couple of times through the years where I got "off" the brakes and simply went around the problem. Sometimes it was because someone else had their head up their backside and at least once it was because I had "my" head up my backside! It's a rare thing but sometimes it's the best way to go. The trick is to keep "riding the bike" and not lock up just because the brakes do!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM
TVtommy
Cruiser

If given a choice between being face down on the pavement with a non-abs bike, or upright with an abs bike....i'd rather be up right.

I put my abs to the test on my bmw last year....someone pulled in front of me, I HAMMERED the brakes, and I'm up right....non-abs...and i'd be on the ground.

I'm just sayin....its all about choices...

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TVtommy
If given a choice between being face down on the pavement with a non-abs bike, or upright with an abs bike....i'd rather be up right.

I put my abs to the test on my bmw last year....someone pulled in front of me, I HAMMERED the brakes, and I'm up right....non-abs...and i'd be on the ground.

I'm just sayin....its all about choices...
Like many posters here you missed the whole point of the OP's thread. He was never questioning the value of ABS but rather Harley's version of it. The fact that HD released a software upgrade to solve the very issues the OP groused about shows his complaints were well grounded.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM
TVtommy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Like many posters here you missed the whole point of the OP's thread. He was never questioning the value of ABS but rather Harley's version of it. The fact that HD released a software upgrade to solve the very issues the OP groused about shows his complaints were well grounded.
My post, sir, was not addressed to you. It was however directed to those who have doubts or don't believe in the ABS system.

Here is how YOU misunderstood MY post.

1. I never said there is fault in the HD ABS system.
2. I never faulted or questioned the original posters research.
3. I never doubted or questioned the software upgrade to fix this problem.
4. My posting, sir was a blanket statement concerning ABS systems.

ABS works, then again there are those who also think ABS on cars was a waste of time.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM
jjohnson77536
Cruiser

Never had any problem with the ABS... In a group where someone locked up a back wheel then the front and went over the top (She is okay... life flighted to Hermin in Houston... Out now and looking for a new ride). (trying to slow to quickly for a turn). ABS would have prevented her lockup... Even if she would have passed her turn... I enjoy the ABS on Harley as it only activates on a emergency situation..

Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Maybe, but if I remember right, he turned his ABS off.

Beary