Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 ABS TEST - Proof ABS takes longer to stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, why would you want to lock up your back brake/wheel in an emergency?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:06 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just me, but...

too many words---

no brainer --- ABS = smart

Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frydaddy96
Just curious, why would you want to lock up your back brake/wheel in an emergency?
I'm not speaking for the person I think you're asking the question of but I'll offer my own answer based on conversations I've had with several different people in the past few years.

I've met folks who think having the ability to lock the rear wheel and deliberately lay the bike down in an emergency is an important consideration. Personally, and this is just my opinion on the subject, I think that's one of the dumbest attitudes I've ever come across from otherwise intelligent and experienced riders. I mean no insult to anyone here with this but I firmly believe that if any of us get into a situation where "laying it down" is the best option (???), we've already screwed the pooch about a dozen times before we got to that point.

First and foremost, the coefficient of friction between rubber and pavement is way better than it is between metal and pavement. We'll slow down much faster on the tires than we ever will sliding our are ***. Second, as long as we're on the tires, we've got options, even if they're not the greatest. Once you're sliding on the pavement, all bets are off. There are "no" more options as the rider and bike are now simply along for the ride until everything comes to a stop. Maybe that's not what the other poster (RYEDOGGRACING?) was referring to but it's one reason I've heard some use for wanting to be able to lock the rear wheel at will.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

I agree Intrepid, just wanted to see what his reason was for it. I use to ride motocross and locking up the backwheel to get the backend around to make the corner a little better, but that was dirt and mud not pavement/concrete.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Fulmer
Intermediate
Default ABS Performance After Service Update

kingkingking

Have you had a chance to retest our your ABS after the '09 service update?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure have'nt invested that much time worrying about the brakes on my RG. But with ABS I can stop fast enough to amaze me. I am also getting older and do not have the reflexes of a twenty year old anymore. Which is one reason my unit rarely gets activated. I enjoy the cruise in cruiser.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So how does one shut off the ABS??? Without the little yellow light coming on.......

Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
You cant steer and brake at the same time on the bike, even with ABS. It doesnt work, the bike wants to stand up all the time. Watch the DVD (they tell you to stand the bike up and slam on the ABS, then turn when you have some speed off) and try it yourself.
Your fundamental misunderstanding of ABS and continued specious arguments defending your testing methodology, results, and conclusions regarding ABS is unbelievable. When you are wrong, admit it and move on. When you've hit rock bottom, stop digging. I'm embarrassed for you.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

had a vrod behind me, when i had to put on the brakes heavy... vrod locked up the rear..both boots smoking(well not really but you get the pic). my bike did not lock up anything.. but the vrod slid off the road into the dirt.

and ya i have abs with brembos.. so f your observations..

Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these completely controlled test with an expert rider where he prepares mentally well in advance for a panic stop on an empty roadway.

Not how it happens in the real world........

Quick Reply: 09 ABS TEST - Proof ABS takes longer to stop