Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 ABS TEST - Proof ABS takes longer to stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

How about a Race To The Stop. Line em up and roll together and see who does what.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 AM
indiebarjohn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

King3. Thanks for the test. I hope someone else take the time to replicate your experiment. I did not read every thread so maybe some did.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Screw it....

Let's RIDE!
That's the best thing I've heard in this post! Tired of ones persons bad issues with his ABS!

Only independent labs can show how bad braking systems are, period! If there's a personal bias...it will reflect in the test! If there's an issue with the OPs bike...the test is only conclusive for his bike...IF...wasn't biased...and it is!

To this date I can still out stop all of My friends on their non ABS Harleys! My ABS works fine and to the letter! But I'm not gonna say that I've got the best ABS...or can stop better than every single Harley...cause I can't...I'm biased!

The ABS is meant to help you in panic stops! Plain and simple...if you're using them correctly...they should do just that. They should keep you upright during those...especially in rain and roads with debris. And to those heroes that state laying your bike down is a viable option...Sorry...But that just gets you killed quicker when slamming into a vehicle that is in front of you...whether stationary or just pulling in front of you! I'd rather slam into the vehicle as I'm slowing to a crawl...versus sliding into the vehocke at full speed. I always thought these thoughts about laying your bike down in an accident was sheer madness!

Sorry to steal your thread...but your points are so biased at this time that it's usually just counter-productive! If you don't like your scoot...get another! It seems as tho your dissatisfaction is more obsession and it's detracting from this forum at times!

JUST MY .02 CENTS!

Mike

Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
gabulldog
Tourer

My problem with HD and ABS is that you would think that a system as complicated as computer controlled brakes would have to have a suspension system to match, HD has the same stinking forks and shocks they have had for years (front fork parts say 48-09, for years they fit!!!!) All bikes that I know of BMW, Honda when they came out with ABS they upgraded the suspension to match, HD did NOTHING. I feel they HAD to put ABS on the market for sales purposes, maybe its time the factory got the touring bikes up to speed in the suspension dept. Just my take, I can't afford a new bike anyway so I really don't have to worry about it, not sure whether I'd buy it or not, maybe so just for resale value.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

You are so right about the suspension. No real tech advances in years. And you'd think for the prices we pay...we'd have the best suspension in a bike! But hey...it's HD...we pay for the name...but somehow not the great quality we should be getting!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Everyone knows I love ABS, so I conducted the same experiment. Stopping from 60 mph on dry pavement with ABS and without. With ABS, I stopped in 120 ft. easily. With ABS disabled (I was less confident), I stopped in 1,320 ft -- that's a quarter of a mile! Whoa -- irrefutable proof that ABS is better!

To paraphrase some of the Einsteins here:

"This test is as valid as any other."
"Even if the test is invalid, you can't ignore the conclusion."

Sheesh...

Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Everyone knows I love ABS, so I conducted the same experiment. Stopping from 60 mph on dry pavement with ABS and without. With ABS, I stopped in 120 ft. easily. With ABS disabled (I was less confident), I stopped in 1,320 ft -- that's a quarter of a mile! Whoa -- irrefutable proof that ABS is better!

To paraphrase some of the Einsteins here:

"This test is as valid as any other."
"Even if the test is invalid, you can't ignore the conclusion."

Sheesh...
Now That's funny...True...but funny!

Thanks KopperTop! Mike

Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

I haven't read all 19 pages so don't know if this has been put out.

King, if you want to prove to your dealer that your braking system is AFU then have them meet you with one of their bikes of the same type and setup. Ride side-by-side and apply maximum braking at the same time and see what happens. Bring several riders and switch out between the two bikes and keep performing the test to minimize any possibility of throwing the test one way or the other. If your system is screwed up your bike should take longer to stop in all the tests. If its the system then either bike will stop approximately the same. Doing your own test ride is not going to prove anything to the dealer. I think your biggest detractor in your argument is that you are claiming HD's system is crap when 99% of the user are having no problems with it.

Has the dealer checked the wheel speed sensors to see if they are putting out the right speed or if the module is getting the right speed. Maybe there is something up with the wiring and the system thinks the wheels are turning slower than they really are.

My 08 RG has ABS and it stops on a dime sometimes even activating the ABS.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
RYEDOGGRACING
Cruiser

I have been Drag Racing, Road Racing and Moto Cross Racing bikes for 30 years. I like complete control over my brakes and would not have it any other way. They can keep their ABS. Also i like the ability to lock up the back brake in a emergency. This is they way i have been taught and trained. I am not bad mouthing the people who like it i am just giving my 2cents.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
d2jlking
Tourer

Wow! First off, that is so cool that you took the time to do that test. I am not that patient or disciplined. I'm not sure that the point of ABS is to stop faster.....I thought the point of abs was merely to keep you from locking up the wheels. It seems like you must be a helluva rider, and probably have considerable skills on a bike. Maybe you can stop the bike faster than ABS and keep it upright and safe. I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of people riding big, fast Harleys that cannot. I like the idea of ABS because in my riding experience I have dumped a bike twice. Both times I locked up the wheels. Bad riding....you bet. Still, the ABS helps if I do panic.

S

Quick Reply: 09 ABS TEST - Proof ABS takes longer to stop