Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 ABS TEST - Proof ABS takes longer to stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:00 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
  • IF ABS IS SO DAMN GOOD PROVE ME WRONG PEOPLE. I hope you do. Really.
I don't think there's much hope of this, your obviously so biased against it.
Rewatch your ABS video again, It says you will still see skid marks even with ABS, meaning if your system is activating before lockup, than there is something wrong with it.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:18 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Same Here!

Originally Posted by RODEO
Thanks but if it's all the same to you, I'll keep my ABS thank you...
You said it dud!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 AM
DaltonHD
Cruiser

My first thought on the HD ABS is just that..HD ABS! Moco is not famous for getting things right the first time.
I think the effectiveness of any ABS system is critically dependent on the precise tuning of the ABS system...Of course. Is there anyone anywhere that genuinely believes that Moco has established critical consitency on a newly offered option?
ABS or no ABS may be the difference between life or death. Are you willing to risk you azz on a system that Moco is just getting into? I don't want any electronic gizmo between me and the braking system until said system has withstood the test of time.
I would like to see the same test performed by the same rider on an identical bike and compare the #'s...Well, actually, I would like to see Moco manage to align their bikes consistently. That would be a good place to start.

Last edited by DaltonHD; 05-30-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Curiious, do stopping distances really mean anything? Who pins their brakes and hangs on until the vehicle is at a complete stop?

Isn't the goal to scrub speed off as quickly as possible while still staying under control? When Grandma Blue Hair pulls out in front of you, she generally doesn't come to a complete stop. If she does stop dead in front of you and is only 50 feet away, Straight line braking is only going to reduce your impact speed.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the test. Based on that I can see why you are unhappy.

I have tried a similar test. My methodology was not as thorough as yours. I disconnected ABS and tried full lock both brakes from 40mph, yes I did skid both wheels. Next with ABS max brake both brakes. This was on a dry road. I didn't measure, I just began braking from a line in the road and marked the stop spot. On the dry road my stopping distance was virtually the same.

I am happy with ABS on my bike. I don't think it lengthened my stopping distance. I definitely think it will help me in a panic situation or low traction situation. I felt much more stable with the ABS stops even on dry pavement.

I think you have a couple of options.
1. Disconnect your ABS, ride and be happy. It is doubtful that that MOCO is going to do anything for you but you never know.
2. Get rid the bike and find something else to ride.

I am not saying this as a knock. Your situation is real. I don't think you will sway any ABS advocates and it does not appear that they will change your mind. If I was unhappy with my bike I would sell it and purchase something else.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:07 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense to the OP, but Trooper is right -- the premise of the test is wrong, so any conclusions drawn from it are invalid. You really can't get a valid comparison without locking up the brakes and you'll need outriggers and a controlled environment to do that safely.

The test is also flawed because the experimenter participated in the test with an a priori expectancy bias. The data collected are always suspect in such cases as the results invariably support the original hypothesis.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's a video using "outriggers" Granted these aren't Harley's but the principle is clearly the same. WHICH BIKE would YOU rather be riding???

(Don't answer, I'd be afraid of some of the answers we might get in this forum. AND for the uneducated or doubter's out there, the bike without the outriggers is the bike with ABS.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ

Last edited by RODEO; 05-30-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:44 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

While you might be able to stop quicker wo abs on dry pavement, if you take the best times of all the stops useing both f&r brakes, I think you will find that there is not that big of a difference. R&D for the tests for true testing I would think that you would have to do the stopping until you were consistant on each braking that you did. 119 - 132 wo/abs shows that there is something that changed in how you were testing. Take some sand out there & put it in different spots while you are testing. Some may not ride in the rain or poor weather, but if you ride, sooner or later you will. Nice article

Toby

Old 05-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RODEO
Here's a video using "outriggers" Granted these aren't Harley's but the principle is clearly the same. WHICH BIKE would YOU rather be riding???

(Don't answer, I'd be afraid of some of the answers we might get in this forum.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ
Well that clinches it! Screw the ABS, we all need to put outriggers on our bikes!

I've waded through every post in this thread as well as many in several other threads on this forum that King(3) as posted in. His dissatisfaction with ABS on his bike is well documented. By his own admission, he tends to ride on the aggressive side and we have had words concerning that on at least one occasion.

By his own admission, King(3)'s test is not perfect and that fact has been pointed out ad nausium by others here. I won't argue that one way or the other. What I will say is that I think he "may" have a point. Some of the distance differentials he's come up with are farther than I would have expected, even for a down and dirty braking test performed by a lay person without sophisticated measuring equipment. I could certainly be wrong about that but I think it's also possible that King(3) is onto something.

What I do know is that I'm quite satisfied with the ABS brakes on my 09 Ultra although I haven't tested them in a genuine emergency yet and I hope I never do!! I have had them bump activate on a couple of occasions. The effect was a little disconcerting at first but I've also had this happen with my car so I'm not ready to indict Harley over it yet.

Kingkingking, I really do hope you can get this issue resolved to your satisfaction although I'm certain you've got an uphill battle on your hands with it. Best of luck to you sir!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
What I do know is that I'm quite satisfied with the ABS brakes on my 09 Ultra although I haven't tested them in a genuine emergency yet and I hope I never do!! I have had them bump activate on a couple of occasions. Ride Safe,
Steve R.
See now, that's a mistake you are making right there. You need to know how your bike is going to react when you do need them. I make a regular habit of practicing "emergency braking" at least once a week. Run the bike up to 60 or 70 and lay the brakes on real real hard. You'll be amazed just how short your bike will in fact stop with ABS. The time to practice is not in a real emergency stopping situation. I can tell you that ABS has kept me out of several collisions just in the past 6 months alone. I won't buy another bike ever without that feature, but that's just me. I recognize the life saving value it brings. Even if you don't have ABS, you need to be practicing emergency braking on a regular basis so when you need it for real, it is second nature to you. It will save your life one day......

Last edited by RODEO; 05-30-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 09 ABS TEST - Proof ABS takes longer to stop