Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil capacity with SE Hybrid Cam Plate/ Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil capacity with SE Hybrid Cam Plate/ Pump?

My 02 RK used to take 3 1/2 quarts of engine oil. After an SE Hybrid Cam Plate/ Oil pump mod its dam close to 4 1/2 qts. I'm checking oil cold, after a run-up, on the jiffy stand, level half way up the dip stick- cold- per the manual.

Do I have the only set up that takes over 4 quarts of motor oil? How could the new plate/ pump hold almost an extra quart? Same result with 2 oil changes. WTF?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine will hold 4 qts. with filter,stock pump.
I wonder where your 1/2 qt. is going?
Sumping because of the new pump install?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me know what you find I am having "Issues" with the oil as well! I had always burned an excessive amount and always thought that a seal was bad. I took the thing apart and found crap loads of oil in the Throttle Body! I can see that there is an oil mark at the rear of the rear cylinder intake port. So that seal is getting replaced. What concerns me is all the oil BS that I have been dealing with since the cam plate upgrade?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...nsumption.html

Old 05-30-2009, 02:42 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

My 02 Ultra before the hybric cam plate and hi flow oil pump took 4Liters of (insert brand type here) 20-50W oil including a new filter.
After the camplate change it still takes 4Liters of (insert brand type here)20-50 W oil.
Maybe I am missing something, but I dont know what ....
Rob

Old 05-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Kbore
Road Master

Originally Posted by tgaetto
Let me know what you find I am having "Issues" with the oil as well! I had always burned an excessive amount and always thought that a seal was bad. I took the thing apart and found crap loads of oil in the Throttle Body! I can see that there is an oil mark at the rear of the rear cylinder intake port. So that seal is getting replaced. What concerns me is all the oil BS that I have been dealing with since the cam plate upgrade?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...nsumption.html
Tony, Sorry to hear you are having problems. I'm not consuming oil...

Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Kbore, if you have 1/2 qt. that's in there but not showing up in the pan it must be somewhere, and what comes to mind is that it is in the crankcase. There is a drain plug directly under the crankcase, and if you drain its contents you should see no more than about 6 oz. of oil. If you get more you may have a sumping problem because one or more of the o-rings you replaced with the cam plate (at the cam plate or oil pump) is pinched, missing, or otherwise causing a leak. If it is leaking on the scavenging side you will have an accumulation in the crankcase, and that isn't a good thing. If the flywheel hits the oil that's collecting it can cause overheating and loss of power. If it's leaking on the pressure side I would think you would get the leaking as well as see a loss of oil pressure. How does your OP look?

I've never experienced sumping but have read about it, so my limited knowledge is based on this alone. I would drain the crankcase and measure the contents, as that should tell you if you have sumping or not. When you re-install this plug take caution that it isn't cross-threaded, as it is threading into aluminum and you don't want to strip the threads going into the engine case!

Last edited by iclick; 06-01-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Kbore
Road Master

THanks for the sumping info. I will do the 6 oz oil test from the crank case. I've had actually forgot, but I've read about sumping too, but I'm not sure what the purpose or function of the oil pan is (versus the crankcase sump).

Oil pan has a baffle, 2 plugs and a NTP plug. My oil pressure is 40 cold, 35 hot and 18- 20 at hot idle. At operating temp. my oil temp runs averages 220at the dip schtick.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

What was your pressure before the up grade? I am at about 10 and 30 hot? I have never been any higher than that and before I was at 5 and 2.

I am going to realign my pump tomorrow rotation method... See if that has anything to do with my problem.

What method did you use for aligning the pump?

BTW I replaced my intake valve seal on the rear it has been leaking since day 1

Last edited by tgaetto; 06-01-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Kbore
Road Master

tg,
My oil pressure before the mod:
Synthetic 20W50
Stock, IDLE, Cold 35 PSI
Stock, 3K RPM Cold 45 PSI
Stock, IDLE, Warm 33
Stock, 3K RPM Warm 35

I aligned the pump with EVO tappet alignment studs, rotating the rear wheel while tightening. Basically followed the Service Manual including the sequence and torque.

I had posted in April that with the first oil fill after the mod (checked level twice) the pressure was a little low. After a short ride, the level went down, and I added 1/2 quart - pressure went up several PSI.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

I did mine the same way and the only reason I am asking about alignment is because I had oil in my throttle body when I went in to change that seal..... I was told by others that the pins will not work, however I did it the same as you? I am going to realign for the sake of doing it. I love that I decided to do my cams

Quick Reply: Oil capacity with SE Hybrid Cam Plate/ Pump?