Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Ultra or Classic? Ultra Intercom vs. Autocom?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM
krussell
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 Ultra or Classic? Ultra Intercom vs. Autocom?

I'm planning to buy an Electra Glide, and trying to decide on standard/classic/ultra. I had an 08 Ultra, and went to the RT, and now I'm heading back to the HD. I rented an 09 Ultra last weekend, did 820 miles two up in two days, and had a great time. Sweet, sweet bike.

I don't like the looks of the silver engine on the Standard. Otherwise I'd likely go that route, add the tour pack, and be all set. I want the tour pack to be detachable. I have no problem with installing another autocom.

To get the black engine I'm up to the Ultra vs. the classic. I took the lowers off my 08, and never put them back on, regardless of weather. So they don't mean much to me. The cruise is an option I'd add, so that helps. Which leaves me with the CB and intercom. I tend to ride alone, so I don't see much use for the CB other than occasional. The rear speakers aren't a huge deal, I'm a headphone sort of guy.

I must have an intercom. I'm currently riding a BMW R1200RT, and I have an Autocom Super Pro AVI system that I use for music and communication with passengers. I'm very pleased with sound quality and functionality of this system at any speed in any noise conditions. I have no problem installing one on my HD, but if the intercom that is built into the ultra is comparable, I'd likely stick with that.

So, any of you using the Ultra's intercom regularly that have used an autocom system too? Any comparisons. Even if you haven't used the autocom, does the Ultra system work for you?

Any other things I should consider when comparing the Electra Glide Models?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:06 PM
hamnhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never used an Autocom but the wife and I have used the intercom on my 09 Ultra a fair amount. It works really well, though it doesn't seem to mute music out enough when the vox keys up. I have a little trouble with the intercom on my 96 Ultra that turned out to be a dirty connector under the seat. Found that the week before I sold it. I have never used the CB on this bike and only used it once or twice on the older one. That said, I'd probably still go with the Ultra just because it's easier to take things off and find 'em and put them on. Good luck with your decision.