Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Saddle bag problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM
hogcommander
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leather Saddle bag problems

My new Road King Classic has developed a baggy-top on one of the saddle bags. The leather has ballooned-up - probably caused by the heat from the sun. The Dealer said it is normal but it doesn't look great.
Has anyone else had similar problems... or can offer a solution please?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM
2007ELECTRICGLIDE
Cruiser

go to ebay and look for harley bag sytem it is tubing that goes inside your bags and makes them stand tall and look like new hope this is some help

Old 05-27-2009, 03:27 PM
One_Lost_Hippie
Cruiser

I have an 07 flstc and the top on the bag on one side is sagging down. My plan is to make a pattern for the top and glue it on the iside to flatten it out, not sure if this will work, but worth a try...might be an option for you. If it dosen't eventally I will get pissed and buy new ones.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
rde
Road Captain

My RKC saddlebags were subjected to more than a few rainstorms and plenty of hot sun. I always gave them a good leather treatment every four months. Everyone is going to get some warping of the leather, but mine never had anything that approached "ballooning-up". The overall look never bothered me with the aging of the saddlebag. If these were new saddlebags I would return them for a new set. They shouldn't show that much distortion with being in the sun.

Having said that, I finally changed out to hard color matched saddlebags. I got tired of the cleaning and preferred to have locked bags. I kept my old leather bags though-I still like to cruise around with them once in awhile for the more nostalgic look. It's a look that's hard to beat.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't sweat it. It IS a normal characteristic of the leather. Miine does it off and on depending on temperature/humidity/exposure. Just do me a favor.....Ride the HELL out of it! 07

OH, and welcome to HDF, Glad ta have ya. "Hold onto your wallet"!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah mine wrinkle and look wierd when I get it soaked in the rain but they always come back into shape. get them wet and let the sun dry them out then put some good conditioner on them.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I never really payed much attention to mine. I just keep them conditioned with bees wax.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

If it is just the leather that is "ballooning" up it is not unusual. Soak the leather with water and let it dry. It should tighten up. Then rub some leather treatment into the leather. Mine was pretty bad until I rode in a three day rainstorm and then a day in the sun. Much better now. Still not perfect but it probably was not perfect on the cow either. Ahh, the natural beauty of leather.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:39 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99 RKC was really bad when it came to the leather bags. As you said, it sort of caved in from the sides and the leather got wet and would stretch and the sun would then tighten. It also looked like it was scratched by a cat after a few years. Just marked up really bad. One buddy changed his bags out for hard bags. I would have done the same had I kept mine. I would never get leather bags again.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 AM
hogcommander
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone for their help -cheers!

Quick Reply: Leather Saddle bag problems