Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some opinions on going from Roadking to ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 01:26 PM
drilerjim
|
Intermediate
Default Looking for some opinions on going from Roadking to ?

I have been contemplating either getting a fairing and tour pack for my 03 Rk. I like my bike and have it setup for me, but. Or selling / trading for a bike already set up. Not wanting something new. I like about any of the Harleys but would like some opinions. I don't care if Fred says he can't stand the Ultra and Bob thinks he's dumb for saying that and ........... You know the usual mud slinging. I want input, I don't care what kind. I am looking at a 00 Road Glide. I like the bike, it has a few miles 40k, but appears to have been taking good care of. Motor has been upgraded to a 103. Trans to a 6 speed. The part I am not sure abouot is the fuel injection. It seems to need attention or replaced.
Anyhow if ya got some input let me know. Thanks

Old 05-27-2009 | 01:41 PM
fishafly
Road Master

I think you should rent a RG for a day or weekend... I'm sure you have already thought of that though... I ride a RK... I demo'd an Ultra and a RG as did a buddy of mine who rides a King, and we both agreed that we wouldn't trade our bikes for either one... I love my King, it is set-up for me, and it took alot of time and money to get it that way... I think a detatchable fairing is the way to go... besides if you don't like it you would have no trouble unloading it...

Old 05-27-2009 | 01:43 PM
bobernet
Tourer

Fairing + tour pack + hardware + (lowers?) on a bike you like and know the history.

vs.

EG, UC, SG, RG used with questionable history

Do the $$ math and decide whether the risk is "worth it."

Old 05-27-2009 | 01:59 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Believe me, I have ran this same thing over and over in my head and even went SG/EG shopping one day just to see. A lot of people love the fairing bikes, but the thing that I can't get past is having it on all the time. When money allows, I will be getting a detach fairing. It would be your best bet, and much better than taking a loss on a different, "unknown" bike.

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:14 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior

Well, I love my Ultra and have no plans to trade, but... sometimes when I see the perfect King, I wonder why I didn't go that route. The thing is, I only tour about two or three weeks a year, the rest is in town and weekend rides. Nothing a King couldn't do with ease. I could always add a detachable fairing and other stuff if I wanted, then strip it down again for everyday riding. It's kinda like I drive an RV all year around just to go on a trip once or twice a year.

But the tourpak is great for hauling my laptop to work, I have space to carry my rain gear all the time, I couldn't live without the radio and intercom, I use the CB on group rides, and the fairing is great in cold and rain. So I'll keep what I have.

But there's somthing about a black King with just the right amount of chrome, it will always catch my eye.

I guess in the end, only you can decide. But the great thing about Harleys is that you can rent almost any model and try it for a day. Not too expensive, and it should help you make up your mind.

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:23 PM
drilerjim
|
Intermediate

Keep it coming.
Also need to throw out - I have been wanting to go to a 6 speed, wouldn't mind a little more motor. Though I have plenty for riding and don't plan on taking up drag racin.
The RG I'm looking at is a Screamin Eagle

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:26 PM
drilerjim
|
Intermediate

Also, in December we rented a Ultra Classic when we were in Vegas. The wife really liked the tunes, tour pack and better rear seat

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:53 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by drilerjim
I have been contemplating either getting a fairing and tour pack for my 03 Rk. I like my bike and have it setup for me, but. Or selling / trading for a bike already set up. Not wanting something new. I like about any of the Harleys but would like some opinions. I don't care if Fred says he can't stand the Ultra and Bob thinks he's dumb for saying that and ........... You know the usual mud slinging. I want input, I don't care what kind. I am looking at a 00 Road Glide. I like the bike, it has a few miles 40k, but appears to have been taking good care of. Motor has been upgraded to a 103. Trans to a 6 speed. The part I am not sure abouot is the fuel injection. It seems to need attention or replaced.
Anyhow if ya got some input let me know. Thanks
Detachable fairing and tourpak on the bike set up for you and that you know...priceless! I love my options with the RK. My best bud sold his '03 RK with all the detachables for a '09 UC. He loved the new '09, but really missed the versatility of the RK. He ended up buying a second bike (Excelsior Henderson) that allowed him to ride without all the plastic. Stick with what you got and add the gear. My $0.02.

Old 05-27-2009 | 03:07 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

I went from an 01 RK to an 07 Ultra. It was the best move I ever made. The wife also enjoys ALOT more!
If ya want the wind o in your face, replace the windshield with A shorter one. Havingthe fairing is a big plus even when running around town!!!
I have never looked back since I got the Ultra!
Just my opinion and experience...

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:19 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

Buy the extra stuff and use it when you need it. One time you may want all of it or just the tour pak. You may ride to a destination and then strip it off and leave it in the hotel room.

You can always sell the extra stuff separately later.

Quick Reply: Looking for some opinions on going from Roadking to ?