Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some opinions on going from Roadking to ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:29 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Came from an 02 Road King that I loved but was coming up on 40k miles (you didn't say how many miles you had on yours). I felt after 40,000 miles the ability to sell it for good money was going to diminish.

I ended up with a SG BUT debated with myself big time about getting a new RK. Depending on your mileage I would suggest getting a fairing that might be easily removable or if there is another way to get the Tunes without a fairing, if I were you, I might consider that. The Tunes are unbelievable. Can't believe how I've ridden all these years without them. I have also found that riding year round here in Maryland is more doable with the SG.

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:58 PM
peddler
Club Member

I read posts about forum members that don't think they would like to ride a bat wing bike around town all of the time and think about a detachable fairing. I've noticed most of the posts are from members that don't own bat wing bikes. What exactly is so undesirable about around town riding on a bat wing bike? I've been riding bikes with fairings since I was 29..the last 29 years and wouldn't ride anything else. I'm obviously biased. Wouldn't ride anything else. That's just one thing that makes this such a great country.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:26 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Go to a demo ride and ride all you want. Should give you some ideas. This is what I did before my purchase.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:38 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by peddler
I read posts about forum members that don't think they would like to ride a bat wing bike around town all of the time and think about a detachable fairing. I've noticed most of the posts are from members that don't own bat wing bikes. What exactly is so undesirable about around town riding on a bat wing bike? I've been riding bikes with fairings since I was 29..the last 29 years and wouldn't ride anything else. I'm obviously biased. Wouldn't ride anything else. That's just one thing that makes this such a great country.
I agree, most people who own batwings like them and RK owners, for the most part, haven't experienced them. I personally have, and just not having the convertibility is a downer for me.

Maybe Harley will market a bike just exactly like me and many others would like. A touring bike with a detachable fairing and TP. I still wonder why they haven't.........

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:48 PM
Hx3
Road Master

I've got both, and like the RK for around town and the Ultra for trips, but I can use either bike for either type riding. I would say keep what you got and add what you want to make the bike capable of meeting your needs.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:55 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

I had a pretty bad *** fat boy lowered, chromed out, big motor but I could not carry anything with me period. I rode to Daytona several times and rode thru Florida with it I would usually just ship my bag to my final destination and then ship it back. When I decided that I wanted a good all around bike I thought that an SG was the best choice because of it's versatility and the fact that I have full gauges and most important the radio...

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:55 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

I think JohnnyD's suggestion is right on why not a detachable that way if ya hate it off it goes.

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:32 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

Ill go with the glide.

Old 05-27-2009 | 10:33 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

I would have a hard time also, the screaming eagle models are just badasz rides, the better option is just adding to what you have.

Old 05-28-2009 | 09:21 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by peddler
Well I own a detachable bat wing and its alright around town. But I just love to take it off and not have that big black blob in front of me all the time. The bike just "feels" more open and lighter without it. The wing is fine for trips when I want tunes or for colder weather, but otherwise I prefer the windshield or nothing. Its really like three bikes in one.

Quick Reply: Looking for some opinions on going from Roadking to ?