Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police tire question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 PM
CommanderTC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police tire question

Bought a new '09 EG Police bike that I'm going to convert to a 2-up touring bike. A sticker on my rear fender says "Tires rated for one person. If motorcycle is changed to carry two people, tires must be changed." It says serious injury or death may occur...

What's up with that??? Is it something about the "run-flat" tires?? Would I have to change just the rear tire, or both??

Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
BigD64
Tourer

I don't believe that the run flats for the 09's Bikes have been manufactured yet. They put the sticker on in anticipation for the run flats. But last I heard they were using the same tires as non police models.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 AM
CommanderTC
Cruiser

dang that's good to hear....how do I confirm that my tires are "normal" tires? The dealer seemed baffled by the sticker

Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

My department had a loaner 09 and the first thing I was told was that the tires were not run flat. I have not heard of the run flat tires coming out yet for the new bikes.

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM
CommanderTC
Cruiser

more better good news...not that having tires that will run flat isn't a good thing, I just don't want to put the cash out for new tires when I go to a 2-up seat

Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if you go to a harley dealer and look at all the numbers, sizes etc, information about the tires that's printed on the sidewall, on a bike in the showroom and the numbers are the same as the numbers on yours, then i'd think theyr'e the same tires. if you know of a place where cop bikes are used, then check with that dealer who services their bikes, they'd have all the information on them. in tulsa it's meyer durham hd. they service the cop bikes for tulsa.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:49 AM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

just check the load ratings on the side of the tires. if the rear is ~800 and front around ~600 you are good to go.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 AM
12pack
Cruiser

I am far from an expert on tires but I was told that the Police bikes have the 404 load rating and the touring bikes have the 402?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM
robo1211
Cruiser

i think the police tires are bead lock so that they will not unseat in case of blow out or shoot out. these tires are not weight rated for two up. the front is sufficient but the rear is not. run flat is not an accurate term.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Disclosed is a run flat tire for motorcycles having a high handling stability, cornering stability and durability even when the tire is punctured during running and the pneumatic pressure inside of the tire becomes equal to atmospheric pressure. The run flat tire has a pair of sidewall-reinforcing layers each comprising (1) an elastic filler extending from an end location adjacent a bead core in a bead portion to the other end location in a tread portion through a sidewall portion of the tire and (2) at least one reinforcing ply which extends along one side surface of the elastic filler toward the tread portion, is turned up around the end of the elastic filler in the tread portion and which then further extends along the other side surface of the elastic filler toward the bead portion.

Run flat tire info. --- http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4202393.html

Run flats are not designed to be ridden 2 UP WHEN FLAT. That's why they are not on civilian bikes.

Last edited by carpetride; 05-27-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Police tire question