Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
bentrider
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide

I currently have a Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive. I work at home and mostly use it for touring. I have about 5000 miles on it. Second bike. Had a 250 Honda Big Ruckus with about the same mileage. I'm about to start a new job with about triple my current salary. I'm 34 about 5'11" and 185. I ride with a 5'6" 150 pound passenger a lot. If all goes well thinking that a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide would be a good "Yay for me!" present. I always thought I'd get a Gold Wing but something about the Ultra just calls to me. I live near a HUGE Harley dealer (Arkport Cycles in upstate NY) and see a ton of them on the road around here. Just the sound and that classic look has drawn me in. Am I suicidal to make that big of a jump? Anything about the Ultra that I should worry about? My Burgie weighs about 700 pounds as equipped so the Ultra isn't THAT much heavier. Balance will be entirely different though I realize.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Go for it! Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
HDRick
Road Warrior

I rode the Honda GoldWing, the BMW R1200LT and the bought the Ultra. Compare the ride, weight and cost of ownership. You will get a Harley. Go for it and don't look back.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I wish I considered a Ultra at your age. I would have been happier

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new job! That's not easy to do in this economy.

I don't think you'll have any problems with an Ultra, they handle extremely well and it will be a joy to ride. It's not that big of a leap from your current ride.

One other thing, they have a lot more t-shirts at the Harley dealer than they do at the Suzuki place.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM
bentrider
3rd Gear

Yeah I think I'm a 60 year old man trapped in 34 year old body. I ride recumbent bicycles, big scooters and now most likely an Ultra. I do listen to the appropriate music of my age group though. Can the Ultra's stock speakers handle Hip-Hop? (Half joke. RARELY listen to that.)

Any "immediate" changes to make? Any accessories that people buy before taking them home?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it. If you are at all unsure, go and rent one for a day - I suspect you will have such a big grin that you will have to go to a plastic surgeon to get it off. A lot of dealers will credit you with the cost of the rental (usually about $100) against your purchase price.

Oh yah, I am 61, got my Ultra last year and have 25,000 miles on it and we only ride for 7 months of the year. My speakers prefer 60's and 70's hard rock.

As far as accessories, the Ultra is pretty complete. If you don't like the sound of the stock pipes, they can be upgraded. If you live where there is cold riding, get heated grips - sometimes they have problems so it's nice to have them covered under the original warranty. Get a tour pack rack. That's it. Hang around here for a lot of ideas - you will add more later.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I just bought a new 09 Ultra Classic a couple weeks ago.
My first impression was that it was top heavy and I would need to get used to it. My second impression was how nimble it is for a big bike. Once you get it moving it handles like a dream. You will love this bike if you buy it. No question.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Hi bentrider,

I do alot of biz with Arkport Cycles and they're top notch to deal with especially Jenny and her expert mechanic, Andy. Ultra Classic's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned besides owning a Sporty and Road King Classic ('06 Silver still sitting in the showroom floor that I traded in for my new Ultra). I'll never go back to any of the smaller bikes unless HD invented and created something bigger than the Ultra Classic.

Purchased my '09 Flame Blue Pearl and Pewter Pearl last fall and already have over 4,400 miles w/ no problems. Just got back from Memorial Day weekend trip down in Gettysburg, Pa. with all of the necessary clothing, gears, tools and T-Bag on the premium luggage rack with no regrets at all. Just an awesome bike as I'm truly pleased with it's riding capabilities.

FYI, Mine's all pure stock with tons of Chrome Bling all over except for Chrome Forks I'm hoping that Santa will give me for my next Christmas Present, LOL.

Hey, Nothing's suicidal as long as you take your sweet time training yourself on that big bike until your confidence's all built-up before you go 2-UP.

Recognize that pix in my avatar ?. I'm sure you know where it is. Our favorite place as my Linda and I stop to eat and drink their wine quite often. Care to answer my question, LOL. :-)

Please do tell Jenny and Andy, This deaf guy with the '09 Blue and Silver Ultra Classic said a Super Hi !....And wishing you the best of luck in purchasing a new Ultra of your choice. Any questions feel free to ask me via PM.

BTW, Welcome to HDForums....

Arkport Cycles definitely rocks,

Thorey

Last edited by DeafUltra; 05-27-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 ultra after trading in a 1999 1500 Wing.
Buying either a 1800 Wing or an Ultra Classic is a huge investment. Take both out for a test ride with your passenger.
In my opinion the Ultra is easier to handle at slow speeds and has a lower center of gravity. It's absent of a reverse gear which I do miss at times. The Wing runs cooler and you will feel heat coming of the engine of the Ultra.
When you add up the extra bells and whistles on a Wing you will be surprised to find you get more bang for the buck with the Ultra.
I can also tell you I owned "one" Goldwing tshirt. With my Harley---I think it's up to "six" and growing! LOL
Both are great bikes for different reasons.
If you want a bike with heart and soul and a life of it's own----you will get an Ultra.
You said your current bike weighs 700 pounds. Any bike over 500 pounds is going to go fall over if it reaches a certain point.
Come back soon and tell us the color of your new Ultra!

Quick Reply: Considering a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide