Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for it, get the ABS, and pick your favorite color. You WON"T be disappointed! Welcome to the "Dark Side"....

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Firstly , welcome to the forum.
You're located in a prime riding area of upstate New York for sure.
I've heard great things about Arkport Cycles , my buddy bought a Yamaha Stratoliner there about two years ago.
We ride down that way now and then for some different scenery and a tiny diner that makes great burgers in Arkport.
We picked up our 09 Ultra from Cycle Stop Harley back in August last summer and it's been very good riding since.
We had an 06 EG Standard and my wife fell in love with the Ultra , so it was an easy sell for the wife.
I'm almost 50 years old , 5'8" 182 and the wife is about the same as yours , this Ultra has renewed my wifes interest in riding and we ride as much as we can.
The only thing I've noticed riding , is when you get to a stop , look for gravel or debris when you put your feet down , this bike is a handful at a dead stop.
Once you're going over 1 mph , it is one of the easiest handling bikes you could have.
Riding two up is easy if your passenger stays still and you have a system for her to get on the bike.
I liked the 06 very much , but I really love the 09.....
You won't be sorry you decided on the Ultra.
Mick

Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bentrider
I currently have a Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive. I work at home and mostly use it for touring. I have about 5000 miles on it. Second bike. Had a 250 Honda Big Ruckus with about the same mileage. I'm about to start a new job with about triple my current salary. I'm 34 about 5'11" and 185. I ride with a 5'6" 150 pound passenger a lot. If all goes well thinking that a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide would be a good "Yay for me!" present. I always thought I'd get a Gold Wing but something about the Ultra just calls to me. I live near a HUGE Harley dealer (Arkport Cycles in upstate NY) and see a ton of them on the road around here. Just the sound and that classic look has drawn me in. Am I suicidal to make that big of a jump? Anything about the Ultra that I should worry about? My Burgie weighs about 700 pounds as equipped so the Ultra isn't THAT much heavier. Balance will be entirely different though I realize.
Pull the trigger on the Ultra and report back here in 6 months. You'll be a new man.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:00 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll never look back.
Harley bikes have a heart and sole.
I have a few freinds who now say the same thing.
They came over to the dark side

Old 05-27-2009, 05:04 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Ultra. I think you'll love it.

I would offer some advice. Don't go crazy otherwise spending with the new job. Jobs can be fickle and debt is a millstone around your neck. Believe me I know. I started making good money and got into a bit too much debt and I'm still trying to dig out 10 years later. It's been all the harder since my income depends a lot on insurance reimbursement and that has decreased every year since 2001. So buy the bike and love it, but if you take a loan to buy it, pay it off as soon as you can.

Good luck.

(Jeez, I sound like an old FART!)

Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
bentrider
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
Get the Ultra. I think you'll love it.

I would offer some advice. Don't go crazy otherwise spending with the new job. Jobs can be fickle and debt is a millstone around your neck. Believe me I know. I started making good money and got into a bit too much debt and I'm still trying to dig out 10 years later. It's been all the harder since my income depends a lot on insurance reimbursement and that has decreased every year since 2001. So buy the bike and love it, but if you take a loan to buy it, pay it off as soon as you can.

Good luck.

(Jeez, I sound like an old FART!)
Yeah. New job means selling my old business that I have a buyer for. Harley will be purchased with money from that. And not all of it LOL. And they depreciate so little it's almost like an investment.

Last edited by bentrider; 05-27-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
rixida
Advanced
Default tryi it before you buy it

Originally Posted by bentrider
Yeah I think I'm a 60 year old man trapped in 34 year old body. I ride recumbent bicycles, big scooters and now most likely an Ultra. I do listen to the appropriate music of my age group though. Can the Ultra's stock speakers handle Hip-Hop? (Half joke. RARELY listen to that.)

Any "immediate" changes to make? Any accessories that people buy before taking them home?
I just bought an 09 classic 3 weeks ago and I love it except, for me, its a little to tall. I need to get a lower seat and maybe some 12" shocks also. I found someone who will reconfigure the stock seat for $80. hopefully that alone will make the difference. I am 5'10" and can just barely flat foot it. I think the speakers are great. very good stereo sound. except when listening to hip-hop.

Last edited by rixida; 07-22-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: to add a comment
Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
limj23
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rixida
I just bought an 09 classic 3 weeks ago and I love it except, for me, its a little to tall. I need to get a lower seat and maybe some 12" shocks also. I found someone who will reconfigure the stock seat for $80. hopefully that alone will make the difference. I am 5'10" and can just barely flat foot it.
funny I bought one 3 weeks ago too and im 5'11" and noticed the same thing, not on my toes or anything but much higher than my stock 2003 heritage classic. I put on a street glide seat and its so much better. they got lots of take offs on ebay for half the dealer cost, I got mine for 150 shipped.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 PM
JKAHD
Advanced
Default 09 Ultra

I own a 650 Burgman and just picked up a new Ultra. I am surprised how the Ultra is so easy for around town rides similar to the Burgman. The Ultra is so easy to handle at low speeds and comes alive with a little speed. Make the jump. You will be very happy with the decision and will find even more fun potential in the Ultra!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1of2
I just bought a new 09 Ultra Classic a couple weeks ago.
My first impression was that it was top heavy and I would need to get used to it. My second impression was how nimble it is for a big bike. Once you get it moving it handles like a dream. You will love this bike if you buy it. No question.
Go for it, the bike to me is not top heavy at all and is easy to handle, and I'm only 5"10", 165lbs, and compared to my last bike before my Ultra, which was a way too top heavy Yamaha Royal Star Venture. That bike is way top heavy and made my Ultra feel like I couls toss her around like a rag doll. I say go for it you'l be happy with the way it handles.