Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear drive issues???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Gear drive issues???

Okay, here is the issue I am having. After the inner tensioner bit the big one and scoured the oil pump I decided to replace the cam plate with the Se billet plate and upgraded oil pump. I also decided to ditch the tensioners for a gear drive and some HQ 0034 cams. I replaced the lifters with some new HD "b" lifters and kept the stock pushrods. After putting it all back together one lifter didn't seem ot want to pump up so the stocks went back in. After warming up the top end would tick.

I have tried adjustable pushrods (two sets), put the "b" lifters back in after a good prime, aligned and re-aligned the rocker boxes and still have the warm noises. Based on the theory that the billet plate is expanding more due to its larger thermal mass I replaced the inner cam gear with an oversized to take into account thermal expansion and still ticks.

I bought a set of very low milage heads off E-Bay in case I tweaked a valve or something and still noise.

When the engine is cold it sounds fantastic! I think it is quieter than before I pulled it apart. When it warms up... a co-worker with NO mechanical skills heard it from his open office window above the garage. He commented to me that things didn't sound very good. Everything sounds to me to be valve clatter or tick.

At this point I feel I have two options: 1)replace the pinion gear with the oversized gear on the theory that the thermal expansion of the cam plate creates too much lash even though the lash measured to spec when cold. 2) replace the cams and gears with the stock units and go back to the crappy tensioner setup just keeping the billet cam plate. Has anyone ever had to go to the oversized gear because of valve noise? Did it cure the noise? I like the performance that the cams give but there is NO WAY I can deal with this noise.

Thanks,

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-26-2009, 03:30 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine is basically the same. I have Andrews 26G's. It whines a bit when cold, but the top end is quiet. When it gets hot, the whine eases and the top end gets noisy. I listened to all the "experts" and changed lifters, adjusted pushrods this way and that way, and added the famed Baisley spring. Nothing helped. Now 23k miles later, I hardly notice the noise because I am used to it. I don't worry about it.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read in a post here quite a while ago about a way to open up the ports on the top end to get more oil flow. You might do a search and see if you can find it -- been at least a year and maybe longer. I wonder if that could help.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 AM
FXDIinMD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Mine is basically the same. I have Andrews 26G's. It whines a bit when cold, but the top end is quiet. When it gets hot, the whine eases and the top end gets noisy. I listened to all the "experts" and changed lifters, adjusted pushrods this way and that way, and added the famed Baisley spring. Nothing helped. Now 23k miles later, I hardly notice the noise because I am used to it. I don't worry about it.
+1... don't know anything about this "Baisley spring"... my gear drive and Andrews 37g cams gets to clackin' when it get's hot... Mobil 1 helped quite it down but Amsoil and Redline are very noisey!!!! 33k miles on my cams and gear drive and it runs great!!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDIinMD
+1... don't know anything about this "Baisley spring"...
http://baisley.com/oil_spring_product.htm

Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Amsoil MCV and it is a bit noisy when hot. I added some moly engine lube
http://www.molyslip.com/Products/MolySlipE.html
quieted down the noise considerably, little extra lubrication wont hurt also

http://guarddogmolylubricants.com/ is similar product available in USA

Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

It has good pressure. It jusr seems to me to be a case of heat causing clearances to become greater than they should. The notion that the thicker billet cam plate having more mass and therfore more expansion when hot makes alot of sense, but, I haven't heard from alot of people that can say that "Yes, the expansion causes the issue and can be cured by..." It may be a pipe dream to get that answer, but, I figure what the hell might as well ask. If there is no cure for this noise than it is bye bye gear drive!

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-26-2009, 03:56 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
It has good pressure. It jusr seems to me to be a case of heat causing clearances to become greater than they should. The notion that the thicker billet cam plate having more mass and therfore more expansion when hot makes alot of sense, but, I haven't heard from alot of people that can say that "Yes, the expansion causes the issue and can be cured by..." It may be a pipe dream to get that answer, but, I figure what the hell might as well ask. If there is no cure for this noise than it is bye bye gear drive!

Neil
RDMC
why not just go back to the stock cam support plate? lots (probably the majority of gear drive converts) of people just use the stock plate when going to gears.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you know you need an oversize gear? Did you check runout?

Rick

Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the gear clearance? That is a must, Period. #2 You talk about noise, did you check the rockerbox shaft for worn bushings on the rocker shaft as well as too much end play? Did you check the push rods to make sure they are not hitting the side of the head were they go through the top? All the gear drive will do is give you a little whine, it will not give you a tick. That tick is the heartbeat of the engine, some beat louder than others. Mine sounds like an old tractor, but it runs like a striped azz ape, GET SOME EAR PLUGS AND RIDE THE CRAP OUT OF IT. Next Question please.

Quick Reply: Gear drive issues???