Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lasik Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Everette
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lasik Question

I've been wearing bifocals for about 25 years now. Had a B'day yesterday and I went to be evaluated for Lasik. They want to do something called monovision. I currently have contacts in that simulate the monovision. Kinda neat, but not perfect. I realize that I would have to have reading glasses. Anyone had this done? What do you think. I hate wearing glasses.

Everette

Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had lasik done in 1999 & must say that it was one of the best things i ever did for myself - yes i wear magnifiers for reading - but the freedom from not wearing corrective lens is great - hope this helps

Old 05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've worn contacts for probably 30 years and started needing reading glasses about 2 years ago. I've tried multifocal contacts as well as monovision and, even after a period of adjustment, we never really satisfied with the results. Distance wasn't perfect and reading wasn't perfect -- everything was a compromise. I went back to single vision contacts for riding and just use reading glasses over my contacts for computer work or reading menus, etc.. When I'm not riding I wear progressive lenses and those are my favorite - everything is crystal clear.

Glasses may be a nuisance and contacts can be a PITA, but nothing beats seeing well for the task at hand.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Everette
Club Member

Thanks for the replies. I have never wore contacts until yesterday. I have a real problem sticking my finger in my eye and with out glasses I can't see the dang thing. What I don't like about glasses:
I hate working on the bike or anything else and you start to sweat and it falls on the inside of the glasses. I have to continually adjust when working on something close. I hate the rain messing up my glasses and I always, always get a scratch on the lens. There a lot more reasons.
Everette

Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had glasses, then tried contacts but LASIK wins hands down for me! My near vision was fine but due to my age (47), was advised that it may degrade but will be easily fixed with readers (1.5X). I knowingly accepted that "side effect" to correct the distance vision I badly needed for riding/driving.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:18 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LASIK is the bomb! I still need cheaters from time to time. LASIK doesn't change the aging process but if you have good luck it "might" delay it for awhile.

Even though its been many years I still take individual vials of Natural Tears with me. If my eyes get dry or if I get something in them it helps a lot. It's a good idea to pack Natural Tears or similar regardless of LASIK.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:20 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+100 to above re: NATURAL TEARS...never leave home with out it

Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM
00 Chief
6th Gear

I am horribly nearsighted, about -10 diopter in each eye, so Lasik would not work for me. I wore contacts for 20 years, but never felt comfortable on the bike, they were always dry and moving around in my eyes. I ditched the contacts and wore glasses for a few years before having interocular lenses put in last February. They are awesome, I can see the alarm clock and recognize my kids while we are swiming.

My close up vision, a few inches away, was fantastic before, now I need magnification to do any fine detail work. I will need readers soon, I just turned 40 and close up reading is getting more difficult. My distance vision is very good, reading street signs and the like is great.

All in all, I would do it again, just for the freedom of not having contacts or glasses in the way.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:38 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine done in 2000. It's been great and, despite advancing age, have held onto the 20/20 for distance. I have had to go to readers for close work though. Wife is the opposite--losing some ground on distance vision but doesn't really need readers. Either way, it's a medical miracle. Get it done yesterday!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Everette
I've been wearing bifocals for about 25 years now. Had a B'day yesterday and I went to be evaluated for Lasik. They want to do something called monovision. I currently have contacts in that simulate the monovision. Kinda neat, but not perfect. I realize that I would have to have reading glasses. Anyone had this done? What do you think. I hate wearing glasses.

Everette
Why do you think you'll need readers if you have monovision done?

Quick Reply: Lasik Question