Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:30 AM
65Bowtie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True Duals

What is the point behind changing the head pipe on the newer Harleys? I don't see anything to be gained as the stockers look pretty well constructed, radial bends, no restrictions. So what is to be gained by going to a full ture dual system on the 09 harleys vs going with slip ons that will give that sound that we all desire (except eyes of texas)? I could undersand if it were on a 08 and earlier with the dual cross over pipe for the rear head.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 AM
65Bowtie
Advanced

So, nobody has any input?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still trying to get used to seeing that new design. My 08 doesn't get hot with my BUB's and I dig the pipes running down both sides. To me it looks like when they put dual tailpipes on a car/truck off a 2-1-2 or split em after the muffler to give the dual look. I'd be worried rocks or debris will come up and beat that pipe over time.

If the 09's pipes are seperate I'd say mufflers will give the same effect as pre 09's with duals. I'm guessing they are crossed over where they meet?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no performance advantage to true duals. They just sound different, some people like the TD sound.

The V&H powerduals are a better looking set of headers than the stock. the 2-1-2 transition is very very smooth, big bore and just looks like it will flow.

I havent seen any back to back dyno runs of the PDs vs TDs vs Stock headers, I would bet money the PDs will make more grunt. I love the 2-1 sound and think they look great too, but each to their own.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The reason people do what they do! Is because they can! I have not been near an 09 yet,the reason,I just may have to have on.True duals are they only way to fly for this cat.It just feels right!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 AM
WingNut55
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that Big X Collector/Crossover looks like $hit.. The True duals look much cleaner. The Crossover X will generate alot of heat right wear your right foot rests on the ground in traffic ..

Last edited by WingNut55; 05-26-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Unfortunately...opinions are just that opinions. Especially when it comes to the True Dual issue! just sorta like our ABS shootouts! LOL
The 2009 Crossover system running under the engine just serves to get the heat off your legs...yur bike will still get hot...trust me...I rode My friends '09 SG and you can still feel it...not as bad as My '08 SG...but it's still there. As long as they run EPA lean...they're gonna be HOT!
The performance enhancements for true duals proven by Dyno runs are usually in the mid to high range when you run true duals. They usually aren't as advantageous in the lower band and for some your low end torque might suffer a wee bit.
Where people run into issues is that they don't take full advantage of the true dual...you have increase flow on the back end but don't upgrade on the top end! With true duals more than likely a good grind of cam 211 or 225 will help you all the way around. Of course, Open the breathing up abit.
Now...let's talk about a good PC-V! Definitely I great way to spark life in your upgraded system!
True Duals can be a very nice set-up for the average rider! Easy to install...especially will slips on! The cams are a wee bit harder...if not comfortable...have a professional handle it!
Good luck in your choices abotu the True Duals...And yes...the sound is sweet!

I hope this helped...Ride Safe, Mike

Last edited by StreetGlideMedic; 05-26-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WingNut55
I think that Big X Collector/Crossover looks like $hit.. The True duals look much cleaner. The Crossover will generate alot of heat right wear your right foot rests on the ground in traffic ..
I havent noticed heat coming off the cross over in traffic yet.

The X over looks unreal, like its made for serious performance. The lines of it flow really well with the bike too i think. Show vs go i suppose. each to their own.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guilty of loving the True Duals and the sound at idle or low RPM. I really miss the low end grunt that disappeared with the TDs. But my neighbors '09 Ultra with Rinehart slip-ons sounds so fantastic that I'd probably go the same route, and Jamies PC-V set up and an a/c.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I lost 2 hp and 4 TQ when I switched to true duels. I like the look and the sound.
When I had cams done, they had a hard time tuning the stock cross over with the cams I chose. The stock cross over had to much back pressure.

Quick Reply: True Duals