Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Dive

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 AM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end dive

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Technically speaking changing fork oil can not change the amount of dive, it can only change the rate that the front dives at, if you follow my drift. Oil weight controls damping, it can not reduce the amount that the suspension compresses for a given force.
You have a point, but it will slow down the dive. The thicker oil will not change the distance that it dives, but will help the "dive" feel some.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:15 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Technically speaking changing fork oil can not change the amount of dive, it can only change the rate that the front dives at, if you follow my drift. Oil weight controls damping, it can not reduce the amount that the suspension compresses for a given force.
Maybe so, but after changing over to SE Heavy Fork Oil my front end does not dive down at all during any kind of braking. It's a big improvement over the stock "fish" oil.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a brand new set of Ricor Intiminators and 5 wt Amsoil fork oil, package never opened. Yours for $200 (via Paypal) including shipping from Yokohama to your doorstep using USPS Global Express with tracking (which will cost me close to $50). PM me if you're interested.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:36 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the weight transfer that causes the dive. You want to avoid physics I guess.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:54 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Maybe so, but after changing over to SE Heavy Fork Oil my front end does not dive down at all during any kind of braking. It's a big improvement over the stock "fish" oil.
No offence but thats impossible. If you use the front brake then the front end will dive. (unless you have a rigid front end!!!)

As BigG said its just physics. weight transfers onto the forks and they compress.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Applying the rear brake at the same time as the front brakes will reduce fork dive.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Change the oil. Big improvement.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

No offence but thats impossible. If you use the front brake then the front end will dive. (unless you have a rigid front end!!!)

As BigG said its just physics. weight transfers onto the forks and they compress.
It may dip down some but nothing compared to when the stock oil was in them...I have a habit of using engine braking and rear brake to slow down normally...In a panic stop, I use both brakes....

Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
It may dip down some but nothing compared to when the stock oil was in them...I have a habit of using engine braking and rear brake to slow down normally...In a panic stop, I use both brakes....
I know it's hard to break old habits but you should be using the front brakes as your primary stopping device. There's a good reason why HD put two big brake disks up there and only one in the back. Applying the rear brake at the same time will keep the front end from diving too much, which is why all the premium tourers from BMW and the Japanese makers feature linked brakes.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

sounds like a bunch of folks spent big money on other things and don't want you to be happy with your setup unless you spend big money too.

follow the link in iclick's post for changing your fork oil. a lot of us have gone with the se heavy (which is a 20wt) and are extremely pleased with the results. others don't want to go quite as heavy so they mix type e (10wt) and se heavy 50/50 which will give you a 15 wt. also i think belray actually does sell 15 wt. whichever way you go, i guarantee you that it will be better than whats in there now.

try that first. if you don't like it, what are you out? nothing really, because it will be better than stock. but if it isn't enough for you, then you can start spending your hard earned money on other things....

Quick Reply: Front End Dive