Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
waynemags
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel gauge

anyone know why the fuel gauge would be so eratic? goes from full to empty to half to empty to full and on and on. only seems to be when half full or full. it moves around like its possesed. this is on a 92 FLHTC.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by waynemags
anyone know why the fuel gauge would be so eratic? goes from full to empty to half to empty to full and on and on. only seems to be when half full or full. it moves around like its possesed. this is on a 92 FLHTC.
Wayne, I don't care what year bike you have, every fuel gauge I've seen on touring bikes is crap. It's 100% accurate when the tank is full, but after that, it's anyone's guess. I just use the odometer and don't worry about it. Maybe some day HD will find a better fuel gauge, but I'd probably just use the odometer anyway.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taterdog
Wayne, I don't care what year bike you have, every fuel gauge I've seen on touring bikes is crap. It's 100% accurate when the tank is full, but after that, it's anyone's guess. I just use the odometer and don't worry about it. Maybe some day HD will find a better fuel gauge, but I'd probably just use the odometer anyway.
Agreed...When I hit 175 miles on the trip meter I start looking for a station to fill up at. I never depend on the gauge as it is not that accurate.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
Agreed...When I hit 175 miles on the trip meter I start looking for a station to fill up at. I never depend on the gauge as it is not that accurate.
+1...you and I have the same method! The gauges are not really close after 1/2 tank. use that odometer and you usually will never go wrong!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

++1...I find myself automatically looking for a gas station at 150 miles even though I believe I could get 180 miles out of the tank.

Not interested in trying to find out

Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer

My O1 Ultra did the same thing. The fuel gauge used on the older bikes is fast acting. I replaced the fuel gauge with one from a 2004 EG which is a slow acting gauge. Because the needle moves slowly it takes more time to react to things like fuel slosing around in the tank due to braking or accelerating. The new gaugeis almost dead steady. BUT, it still just as inaccurate, it probably has a little over a gallon when the gauge reads 1/2 tank.

Re'

Old 05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Odometer to measure my tank of gas every time. Fuel gauge is a nice thought, but I don't trust it.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
waynemags
Cruiser

thanx for the input. odometer it is.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:23 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 09 seems to pretty damn accurate, and has an estimation of milage to empty as well.

my 00 Deuce not accurate at all, used odometer.

Last edited by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$; 05-22-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-23-2009, 07:10 AM
littlebear
Tourer

MY 08 seems pretty accurate most of the time. Other nite the miles to empty said 16, I filled her up and took 5.1 so I had another 40 or so. Ok to do that in town, on the road I am looking to fill at 175 miles, better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: fuel gauge