Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be concerned or not...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Nitehawk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be concerned or not...?

Call me a dumbars but , in the past I have owned bikes from the time I was 19, never had trouble checking oil level, on my 2006 Ultra the manual states the level cannot be measured accurately cold, when I check it cold it is 1/2 way between add 1 qt. and full mark, I warm it up like the manual says and let it idle for a few min., like the manual says, then pull the dipstick, and I see no oil on the dipstick, but if I let it set a few the level reads where it does when it is cold......whats up with that, I never get a reading above the cold level warm or sold and I just changed oil & filter and have 4 qts of fresh oil and it still reads 1/2 way between add and full mark warm or cold.....being my 1st Harley I am confused, need I be concerned or should I speak with the Stealer on the matter.....?

Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Should I be concerned or not...?

When you check the oil cold it should be half way between ADD and FULL. The only oil level that is considered "accurate" is the HOT oil level. You need to warm the motor up to operating temp. Depending on the outside air temp you may have to ride 15-30 minutes. The oil level then should be at the FULL mark. Some people leave the level about 1/2 qt low to help keep the motor from blowing mist out the breather.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Nitehawk
Advanced

I understand what your telling me, it was 70 deg outside and I rode for 20 in or so when I pull into the garage and checked it after I changed oil, hot or cold it reads 1/2 way between add and full.....this is my concern, should I check it immedietly after pulling into the garage or let it idle then check it or wait a few for the oil to drain back into the pan to check it hot....?

Old 05-12-2006, 11:45 AM
mutha
Road Captain

Wait a few minutes and check.............you do not want it over filled, or it will blow out the breather

Old 05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
cdn.biker
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Nitehawk,
I always check my oil before I fire up my bike. It must be on level ground and on the jiffy stand, and the level should be between "ADD & FULL". When I check the oil after a ride, I shut it off and wait a couple of minutes before pulling the dipstick. I'm ok if the level is not right at the "F" 1/8" to 1/4" below the "F" is ok for me. Hope this helps.
Tom

Old 05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Nitehawk
Advanced

Thats my concern, the only way I get a reading hot is to wait a few and check and the level is exactly where it is when it is cold, and according to the manual it should be higher, I already have 4 qts it in and it only reads 1/2 way when it is hot like it needs another 1/2 qt and like you said, I do not wann overfill it ...I guess I will discuss it with the dealer....

Old 05-12-2006, 02:41 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you're checking by pushing the dipstwick cover all the way in. Some people become confused about this because the trans check requires the stick cover to only be touching the threads. As long as the level is above the Add Oil mark for a hot oil check, don't worry about it. As others mentioned, overfilling isn't good.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a digital oil level/temp dipstick. Great to check the oil level with the push of a button! It is accurate, cool looking and will even tell you if you have too much oil!