Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable tour pak

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009 | 07:28 AM
Maxcustody
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Detachable tour pak

I just put my tour pak on last night and like others have done, I also broke a bushing. On the locks for the rear part of the pak, they only close halfway and click that they are locked. I thought on my 06 the lock came all the way down, Is this right? Also are the bushings hard to replace? Thanks

Old 05-22-2009 | 07:59 AM
Maxcustody
|
Elite HDF Member

Everyone still sleeping or at work I guess.

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:06 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

No, the bushings are easy... just unscrew the bolt holding the mounting point, remove the broken one, and replace it with the new one.

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:12 AM
Maxcustody
|
Elite HDF Member

Thanks

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:13 AM
Maxcustody
|
Elite HDF Member

I just called my local dealer and they don't have them in stock. Do you think it will be a problem riding with only half the bushing on there?

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:23 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I don't think so, but I would wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the bushing to prevent metal to metal contact. Have you fixed the problem? Just loosen the bushing enough that they will reset themselves when you put the tourpack on. Then take the tour pack off and retorque em? That typically fixes the problem.

Beary

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:24 AM
speedkillsu2
Advanced

If you plan to take the tour pak on and off you will over time break the plastic on quite a few of the docking points. You can add some electrical tape over the broken one to prevent vibration until you get the replacement installed. I just recently installed the all-metal docking points to see if they are more durable. I hope so since the HD parts are not cheap. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:28 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I put mine on last Fall, and for whatever reason I've never taken it off since I originally installed it. But now you've piqued my curiosity. Could you please take a picture of what you're talking about it and post it? Because I'm kind of confused as to what you broke and where it is, and I want to keep an eye out for the same problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:50 AM
Maxcustody
|
Elite HDF Member

here are some pics I just took. One is the plastic bushing, half of it thats left. The other is the rear docking point.

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:13 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Max, and if what Speed says is true, I can plan on this happening to mine at some point as well? Well, I bought the quick detach version because I didn't plan on leaving it on as I'm now doing, but since I don't put it on and take it off very often, I guess it may be awhile before I have to worry about it. Funny thing is, I bought that for the old lady, and now she tells me that she likes the regular back-rest better than the tour-pak! She says that the tour-pak makes her sit more "upright", and it's less comfortable!!! Had I known that before I could have saved A LOT of money!

Quick Reply: Detachable tour pak