Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley hid versus motorcycle metal hid

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
HOGNIT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley hid versus motorcycle metal hid

Besides price, whats the difference between the two? and how come the moto metal version you have to use a switch to turn it on when the harley one turns on when you start the bike. considering howards light but don't like the idea of having to remember to turn headlight on.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

You misunderstood. You turn the light off, not on.
1- If you wish the light to work just like the stock one than you leave the switch in the on position and it works exactly just like stock.
2- I personally like to start the motor (just like the old days when the government was not involved controling every part of your life) than turn my HID light on.
3- I also like the fact when your charging system goes out you can get some people to jump start the bike. A HD will start even if there is not enough power to turn on a LED.

I personally would rather drive my HD at 3 am without a headlight than push a HD at 3 am without a headlight.

It is a matter of when your charging system will go out and not if providing your ride enough. I can still remember breathing misquotes for hours in front of a closed strip club (just stopped there) until morning when my bike would not start. Your choice, push, stop, or ride. That is why.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
HOGNIT
Tourer

Is this a true plug and ride system or is there a little more involved, that i might need to have a shop install this? this is to howard or anybody else that has installed this hid

Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Any modification with the exception of paste on Küryakyn chrome parts should be installed by someone with some kind of mechanical knowledge. Any plug and play HID kit should have a person with previous knowledge to be able to R&R a "Bat Wing" fairing or a "Roadking" nacelle and have it stay on. There are things that should be done to keep your parts functioning properly and the only way this is learned is by actually working on a bike.

The answer to your question comes down to how much experience and mechanical ability do you personally have? I have never seen a true plug and play HID unit from any other company as I can not buy them. I personally have to make or modify them to fit the application.

Every different bike such as a Road King compared to a Dyna compared to a Road Glide compared to a Street Glide compared to a Softail all have different wiring harnesses and other physical equipment such as the case between a Dyna and Softail compared to fairing bike. You need the correct ballast measurements.

I guess it comes down to experience on both sides.

When you can make the HID system not be visible on a Softail (ballast hidden between the frame & gas tank) and the only thing you see is a larger black headlight cable, that is a bit of experience. This is a CVO Springer done a few days ago.

Last edited by FastHarley; 05-22-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:45 AM
cmdwolf
Cruiser
Talking HID install

Hognit,

I installed the kit on my 08 SG myself from FastHarley. It took a little time and a couple of phone calls but I did it and it works great. This is my first HD and am not a wrench turner. Just my 2 cents.

BTW I love the light. It is BRIGHT.

John

Old 05-22-2009, 07:29 AM
ddwyer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed an HID conversion kit from Euro EFX. Only issue I have is I have some speaker noise when the light first warms up. I have tried moving the group points of both my amp for the speakers and the HID kit - guess I'm just going to have to live with it. I do like the bright light.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

This has been covered here several times, so have a look through past HID threads.

I have a Harley HID kit installed on my 1990 bike, which I adapted to fit. It is expensive and frankly not worth the cost! Beam shape is poor and main/high beam is next to useless, even with a 100watt high performance bulb.

HID usually only works on low beam and is very different technology to conventional bulbs. My recommendation, if you have a touring bike, is to buy a twin bulb reflector (some latest H-D models have them) and fit an aftermarket HID kit.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM
fatglide
Cruiser

Does the HD kit come w/a new headlight lens???

I put a 90/100 bulb in once and MELTED the headlight lens. It was pretty nice to start with tho!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by fatglide
Does the HD kit come w/a new headlight lens???

I put a 90/100 bulb in once and MELTED the headlight lens. It was pretty nice to start with tho!
Yes! This is what it looks like:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...rn-lights.html

The upper part is dip, with the HID bulb in it, the lower round part is high, with a conventional bulb. I don't reckon on using the high beam very often!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 PM
fatglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Yes! This is what it looks like:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...rn-lights.html

The upper part is dip, with the HID bulb in it, the lower round part is high, with a conventional bulb. I don't reckon on using the high beam very often!
I have no idea what that means.