Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody travel with a laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anybody travel with a laptop?

Can anybody offer some advice on traveling with a laptop? I am considering purchasing a Netbook (small laptop PC) so I can check in at work, respond to e-mail, etc., while on the road. Anybody use one? Can they easily connect to the Internet? Can you load navigation software to map out routes? I'm not really interested in the additional on-going cost of using a Blackberry, but for about $250 I can get a Netbook that I'm hoping will be just the ticket for my needs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Towboater07
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't travel with one but, I work with a pc on a air card off shore. As for connection, dependes on the area your in, some places are better than others.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM
billjr
Cruiser

I have a macbook and at&t air card and use it all over if my cell has signal I can get on the net. Make sure the area you are traveling to has the signal for what cell card you get. And if you are going to go and get one remember you will be in a 2 year agreement. Most of the netbooks have wireless on them and there are a lot of places with wifi so make sure you want a 2 year at $60.00 plus taxes a month.

Last edited by billjr; 05-20-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
tcp
Cruiser

I always travel with my laptop. Years ago it was tough to find a good hook up sometimes. These days almost everywhere you go you can find a room with at least ethernet and most likely wireless. Even when I stop in small towns in out of the way places I have been able to find a connection. All the top chain motel outfits have wireless these days.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Grim
Intermediate

I have travelled with a laptop for the last two years and have never had a problem connecting to the internet. This year I purchased a Dell Mini just for the bike. It is only 7" x 9". Easy to pack and inexpensive.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I travel with my laptop and my air card. I am considering getting a netbook because they are so much smaller and for the most part, all I need is internet access. You can get all your navigation data on internet, but I don't know if you will be able to synch to your GPS. Typically, I have the majority of my navigation lined out before I leave the house and have all the possible routes already programmed....it doesn't mean that won't change along the way, though..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree you should not have a problem getting connected on the road, most hotels have internet. You can also get a air card to use....i have one and it works 90% of the time.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

I have a IBM think pad w/wireless and it has been great...shaken pretty bad over several rides and never missed a beat...You can get a mini notebook that does just about everything you want for about $300.00... you may have to add some software but should do the trick...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM
mikezmiami
Advanced

Dell Mini-9. Small, easy to pack, and still useable - as long as I have my reading glasses ! :-) Because of the SSd (solid state drive) there are no moving parts, so it's less likely to get screwed up from being rattled around for days. Besides that, uses less power so battery lasts longer ...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
schmeg
Cruiser

I pack my Dell 1210 with 12" screen in my tourpak wherever I go. Almost always have a connection at hotels.

Quick Reply: Anybody travel with a laptop?