Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody travel with a laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Goes with me on any overnighter. Nice to have the info at your fingertips if ya need some info. Most motels have wireless for free now days.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I ordered a Dell mini 7/17/09 and they told me it would be late Sepember before it arrived, so I cancelled the order and got an Acer Aspire in three days. I took it with me for a 3800 mile Harley ride. It worked great with its built in radio for WiFi and Verizon. It has a SSD which is what I wanted for taking with me on the HD. I use it to tune my PCV/AT. Also for internet and email. I can also monitor the PCV/aT while on the road. Not enough memory for many applications.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 AM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I travel with my Acer Aspire One D250 netbook.
Works well, nice and compact.
Using it right now from a motel with wi-fi.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a HP netbook that I travel with. No hard drive, just a flash drive. Runs on XP and does a great job for checking mail and surfing. Use it to make hotel reservations, check weather, routes, etc. Since there is no hard drive, it will withstand the bumps better. I still pack it carefully, but haven't had any problems in a year. They are cheap and I would recommend getting one. Lightweight too.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i take mine on the road, i keep it packed with my cloths in a laptop sleeve, most hotels and fast food places have free wifi.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
DJFireUSA
Cruiser

I use a HP Pavilion DV 9000 series laptop. She has over 120,000 miles on her and we are still rockin on!

VERY happy with the HP! (it's a full size 17.5" screen so it's easy on the eyes.)

Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM
kipd
Tourer

I never travel without a laptop. I normally traveled with my IBM thinkpad that i kept in a small foam case. It took very little room in my saddle bag. Now I have a Dell Mini and look forward to taking it with me. I very seldom have a problem finding internet connectivity. And also use it for transferring photos from my camera, mapping software, and keeping travel info on an excel spreadsheet, like expenses bike gas mileage etc.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to take my Compaq wide screen bright screen laptop on my bike to work every day . 27 miles one way and I had a nice padded case and tossed it in the trunk.. No problem at all.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
triked
Banned

I travel with a acer net book. It has gone 10000 miles and no problem. Interent connection is easy and generally if you want to check things while traveling, hotel and motels have wifi. Thus i park out front and get the information. You can even plug it into the 12 volt lighter for ease of chargeing and using.

In addition, you can hook up to the acc. switch in the storage area using 12 volt system. As far as the gps goes, i havent done that yet.
I use a map.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last trip I took was about 3,100mi round trip and I took my Dell XPS M140 in a regular Targus soft case,packed in the trailer or the tourpack and I did not have a bit of trouble. Found WIFI at every hotel and used it to book the next nights stay.

Quick Reply: Anybody travel with a laptop?